this is the thread that will never die

Comments

• Next time, I'll just let my young bride of twenty some-odd years, or the boys do it and I can make comments regarding their carpentry abilities. Actually she is very good at wood working. In fact Santa has broght her (at her requests) such items as a table saw, router with table and just about every attachment made for it, miter saw with laser quide, etc... of course Santa had enough sense to also bring her a few other items such as jewerly, stink pretty, and the like. Together we have remodeled two houses and basically rebuilt an old farm house.
  • I have put a few tools on my Christmas list, but I never seem to get them. I am sure Santa is worried that if I get busy with them then he will have more to do too. I guess I can't blame him for that, since he gets hurt so often. He should consider that if I had my own tools I might not need his help after all. Not saying that would happen, just that he should consider it.
  • My hubby and I do all the repair/remodel work on our rent houses, except for electric. Neither of us is brave enough to do that. We work together well. BTW, he cooks without supervision.
  • Sounds like you've done a good job of training your husband and molding him into what you want him to be. /:)
  • Helps when you have good material with which to work.
  • Ray, if I recall correctly... you've been married long enough to fairly well trained yourself.
  • Bet it took a lot of paper to train Rayxhugs
  • Rolled-up or spread out across the floor?
  • Both, I'd bet. Wish we had Mrs. A's e-mail address, we could ask her.
  • Working together well is great! When me and my sweetie are working together we feel that we can do almost anything, except some of the electric. We have wired a few barns and other out buildings but have never tired anything in the city limits. Something about all them codes and stuff. PVC pipes are fun, water runs downhill and must be vented. It is important to remember that it ain't just water that has to run downhill.
  • Dutch,
    Please explain why PVC pipes are fun? My 7 year old grandson loves to play Star Wars with them (light saber). Just wondering if that's the reason you & your wife like them.
  • Other than smelling the glue.... you basically can't mess up. If you do something wrong just cut it off and try again. We have used these pipes for many things: from making a lightweight frame for banners in parades to a maze for our ferrets to play in, and of course for running water, both clean and waste. Did I mention smelling the glue?
  • Are you talking about the thin purple stuff you paint on? You sure don't want to use that in closed spaces.
  • Here is something to help us along in our goal:

I just read an interesting article about how a hospital (Clarion Health) in Indiana is fighting rising health costs. They have had a wellness program in place for 5 years, and now they are going to start penalizing employees who aren't healthy. If you are obese (more than 29.9 BMI), smoke, have high blood pressure (more than 140/90), high cholesterol (more than 130) or high glucose levels (more than 120) they will charge you $5 per paycheck (that is $5 for each offense so up to $25 per paycheck possible).

Employees will complete a health risk appraisal for 2008 health insurance and the new rules will go fully into effect in 2009 (smokers will begin being charged in 2008). The hospital feels this gives the employees plenty of warning and time to adjust.

Employees must have not smoked in the last 6 months to avoid the penalty. Also, employees who can prove they have a medical condition that prevents them from meeting the standards will be exempt. Employees who are penalized but can prove they have taken steps to make the appropriate changes can appeal to have the fees dropped.

Is this going too far or do you think it is a good idea?

Nae
  • Certainly is no surprise and at least they identified the highest risks to be assessed and not just the smokers. Our provider would love for us to do something like this and it'll likely be the future conditions of renewals for fully insured plans. Let's all get healthy and screw up the plan!!!

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-23-07 AT 03:33PM (CST)[/font][br][br]That was one of the options presented last week at the seminar I attended. Our biggest problem is trying to figure out how to motivate our ee's to get healthy. They are in a truck 10+ hours per day and all they eat is fast food.
  • Nae can you tell me where you
    saw that article? Our health
    assessment people suggested a
    point system for our ee's where
    they would be awarded points for
    participating in various wellnes
    programs we have here and receive
    bonus on that. We did not go with
    that program but your article seems
    interesting from the other point of view.
    I think I had read that Scott's
    gave their ee's until end of year to
    stop smoking or stop working there.
  • Some of our local employers assess health insurance deductions based on specific health indicators. With one employer, an ee who met all the criteria paid nothing for their insurance, then deductions were assessed for each "infraction", such as smoking, weight, overall fitness, etc.
  • I am gone for one day and this thread becomes
    a serious discussion about employee wellness.

Come on guys, I am dissapointed in you!
  • Sorry Paul. I just thought a little debate might speed the process up.

How about debating a different item. The Supreme Court recently rejected Lily Ledbetter's claim against Goodyear. She claimed she had been discriminated against through loss of wages for 20 years. The SC said the discrimination occurred too long ago to be a viable case.

I just read where Senator Kennedy and several others are proposing new legislation that would lengthen the time limit for these types of cases.

Opinions?
  • Do any of them take into consideration the actual health history of the ee. Some of our ee's that smoke and some that are over weight have had no health claims for years. The Chairman of our Board of Directors is a smoker, therefore, I so not see how this can be an option here.
  • OK, I hate to admit it but Paul is right.
    Man, it hurts to say that.
    We turned serious on this thread
    and it is dying.

Speaking of dying, this thread
    takes so long to access now that at
    my superannuated age I'm afraid I'll die
    before it opens each time I click on it.
    I can only imagine how much worse
    it must be for Ritaanz.
  • Sorry I haven't been able to contribute much today. Had new ee orientation this morning. Guess we still haven't heard from Q yet either. Hope nothing serious happend while she was gone.

Onward 1000!
  • Rally....Morward Farch!!!!!
  • I've got another Ted Kennedy, Hilary Clinton joke if anyone wants to hear it.
  • Here it is, even if you don't want to hear it>

A U.S. Marine squad was marching north of Fallujah when they came upon an Iraqi terrorist, badly injured and unconscious.

On the opposite side of the road was an American Marine in a similar, but less serious state. The Marine was conscious and alert and, as first aid was given to both men, the squad leader asked the injured Marine what had happened.

The Marine reported, "I was heavily armed and moving north along the highway here, and coming south was a heavily armed insurgent. We saw each other and both took cover in the ditches along the road.

"I yelled to him that Saddam Hussein was a miserable low-life scumbag who got what he deserved", and he yelled back that "Ted Kennedy is a fat, good-for-nothing, left wing liberal drunk who doesn't know how to drive.

" So I said that "Osama Bin Laden dresses and
    acts like a frigid, mean-spirited lesbian!"

He retaliated by yelling,
    "Oh yeah? Well, so does Hillary Clinton!"
    And, there we were, in the middle of the road, shaking hands,
    when a truck hit us.

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-24-07 AT 01:11PM (CST)[/font][br][br]I'd love to hear it. What are you waiting for?

I hate it when someone gets their post in just before mine.
  • This might be better served on a new thread but what the heck. Definitely offensive:
    A doctor at an insane asylum decided to take his patients to a baseball game.
    For weeks in advance, he coached his patients to respond to his commands.

When the day of the game arrived. Everything went quite well.As the National Anthem started, the doctor yelled, "Up Nuts", and the patients complied by standing up.

After the anthem, he yelled, "Down Nuts", and they all sat back down in their seats.

After a home run was hit, the doctor yelled, "Cheer Nuts". They all broke out into applause and cheered.

When the umpire made a particularly bad call against th star of the home team, the Doctor yelled, "Booooo Nuts" and they all started booing and cat calling.

Comfortable with their response, the doctor decided to go get a beer and a hot dog, leaving his assistant in charge.

When he returned, there was a riot in progress.

Finding his tizzied assistant, the doctor asked, "What in the world happened?"

The assistant replied, "Well everything was going just fine until this guy walked by and yelled, "PEA--NUTS!"

Admit it - this one brought a smile to your face.