Evaluation Forms

We are in the process of yearly evaluations for our staff. The same form is used for division heads all the way to the receptionist. I would like to see what other people use. Ours is very simple in that the front side has 9 categories and can be rated anywhere from unsatisfactory to far exceeds. The back side leaves room for comments from the evaluator and /or employee.

Comments

• 44 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Ours are very similar and generally not worth the paper they're printed on. We do have one department that has a new system though. The manager in that dept. has taken the job descriptions for his different positions and translated those directly to the eval form. Example: Job description lists setting scales as a requirement of the position, so on the eval, the employee is rated on their knowledge of the scales. There are also sections for the intangibles; attitude, cooperation, etc. This system works very well for task oriented production positions.
  • I read your comments on performance evaluations. I agree with you. We are a production facility with many task-oriented positions, and the standard evaluation form does not work. I've updated ours a year ago, but it could still use some fine-tuning. Would you be willing to share yours?

Pat Pierce
    U. S. Distilled Products Co.
    [email]ppierce@usdp.com[/email]
  • I have one that I have used with my clients and they really like it. It uses five rating categories, but overlays a numerical scale from 1 to 25. This means that those that are "meeting requirements" can be rated 11 to 15. This gives the manager the ability to show improvement by raising the rating from 12 to 13, but not the overall performance rating. Each category is weighted according to the core company values and the specific departmental values. For example, a computer programer would be weighted more heavily on "Job Knowledge" that an accounts payable clerk. Thus, you have everyone using the same basic rating system, but able to adapt it to specifc job categories. I'll fax you a sample if you will send me your fax number. You will need to do some training of the managers before you roll it out, but you probably need to do that any way. Call or e-mail me with your fax number at 615-371-8200 [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email] if you want to see the form.

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
  • Margaret, I'd like to see this form as well. My name is Pam and my fax number is 816-363-1755. Thanks!

>I have one that I have used with my clients and they really like it.
    >It uses five rating categories, but overlays a numerical scale from 1
    >to 25. This means that those that are "meeting requirements" can be
    >rated 11 to 15. This gives the manager the ability to show
    >improvement by raising the rating from 12 to 13, but not the overall
    >performance rating. Each category is weighted according to the core
    >company values and the specific departmental values. For example, a
    >computer programer would be weighted more heavily on "Job Knowledge"
    >that an accounts payable clerk. Thus, you have everyone using the
    >same basic rating system, but able to adapt it to specifc job
    >categories. I'll fax you a sample if you will send me your fax
    >number. You will need to do some training of the managers before you
    >roll it out, but you probably need to do that any way. Call or e-mail
    >me with your fax number at 615-371-8200 [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email] if you
    >want to see the form.
    >
    >Margaret Morford
    >theHRedge

• I would really appreciate reviewing your evaluation form, also. Ours is old and has lost it's effectiveness. My fax number is (336) 776-6168.
  • Dear Margaret:

I am in the process of reviewing our evaluation forms - if you could send me the evaluation form referenced in your note I would greatly appreciate it.

My fax number is 712-252-3215; thanks again.

Steve Gerhart
    Sioux City Brick
  • Margaret:
    I would also like to have a copy of your form.
    Thanks!
  • Margaret I am in dire need of help. Evaluation forms are just a minute detail I am in need of. We recently revised our handbook and modeled it from an Alaskan handbook. I attended the TWC Seminar in Dallas and found it to be very helpful. For the longest time we, as the employer, felt cheated by the law. I learned, on the contrary, that I was just unaware the laws that are in our favor. Anything you can do to help would be tremendously appreciated. You can email me with anything at [arowden@rsclark.com].

Amy Rowden
    Office Manager
    RS Clark and Associates, Inc.
  • Hi Margaret,
    I would like to have a copy. My fax number is 740-349-3830. Thanks, Donna
    >I have one that I have used with my clients and they really like it.
    >It uses five rating categories, but overlays a numerical scale from 1
    >to 25. This means that those that are "meeting requirements" can be
    >rated 11 to 15. This gives the manager the ability to show
    >improvement by raising the rating from 12 to 13, but not the overall
    >performance rating. Each category is weighted according to the core
    >company values and the specific departmental values. For example, a
    >computer programer would be weighted more heavily on "Job Knowledge"
    >that an accounts payable clerk. Thus, you have everyone using the
    >same basic rating system, but able to adapt it to specifc job
    >categories. I'll fax you a sample if you will send me your fax
    >me with your fax number at 615-371-8200 [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email] if you
    >want to see the form.
    >
    >Margaret Morford
    >theHRedge

• I am the HR Mgr. of a manufacturing facility with different departmental needs. I am looking at updating our evaluation forms, and yours sounds like one that I would be looking for. Would you be so kind as to share yours with me? My e-mail address is [email]ppierce@usdp.com[/email]; my fax # is 1-763-389-2549.

Thanks!

Pat Pierce
    U. S. Distilled Products Co.
  • Margaret:
    May I have a copy too. Thanks. fax: 406-265-3638.
  • Perfect !
    Please fax to me also!
    1-22-592-0314
    K Rezutek
    General Manager
    CHIPS PLACE - Columbus WI

>I'll fax you a sample if you will send me your fax
    >want to see the form.
    >
    >Margaret Morford
    >theHRedge

• I would appreciate it if you would send me your form as well.

My fax number is 516-213-1187
  • Margaret,

I would like to have a copy of the evaluation form. My fax number is 785-742-2164 or email is [email]kschulenberg@nekcap.org[/email]. Thank you!!

• I WOULD LIKE TO SEE THESE EVALUATION FORMS ALSO. MY FAX IS 660/259-4824.
    THANKS
    SS
  • As you will notice, I am searching for materials on evaluations.

I sent another notice this am - Could you share this form also. Thanks.

Fax: 216-731-7396 or email [email]lpopik@stamcoind.com[/email]
  • Margaret,

I also would appreciate it if you could fax me a copy of your form 305/521-6130.

Thanks,

Peggie
  • Would you mind sharing your Evaluation Form with me?
    It sounds like it takes all important factors into play.
    Thanks.

Email: [email]pbyrnes@saratogawarehouse.com[/email]

Fax: 518-587-3129

Thanking you in advance!
  • Ms. Morford,
    I realize this is from 2 years ago but would you still be able to fax or email me this form? I am in the process of looking to update our Performance Review form and procedures. Thank you.
    [email]slewis@pmds.com[/email]
    Fax: 301-953-2838
  • Ms. Morford
    Could you please email or fax me that form also? I am updating our Performance Review Form also. Thank you.
    [email]slewis@pmds.com[/email]
    fax: 301-953-2838
  • Ms. Morford,
    If your form isn't totally worn out from faxing it to everyone, I'd be interested in receiving a copy as well.

Cheryl C.
    Fax: 603-225-6930
    Have a great day!
  • Margaret,

I would like a copy of the evaluation form too. My email is [email]kschulenberg@nekcap.org[/email]. Many Thanks!!
  • I would greatly appreciate a copy of the form as well. My fax number is 757-244-1820.

Thanks,
    Laura Yarborough

>I have one that I have used with my clients and
    >they really like it. It uses five rating
    >categories, but overlays a numerical scale from
    >1 to 25. This means that those that are
    >"meeting requirements" can be rated 11 to 15.
    >This gives the manager the ability to show
    >improvement by raising the rating from 12 to 13,
    >but not the overall performance rating. Each
    >category is weighted according to the core
    >company values and the specific departmental
    >values. For example, a computer programer would
    >be weighted more heavily on "Job Knowledge" that
    >an accounts payable clerk. Thus, you have
    >everyone using the same basic rating system, but
    >able to adapt it to specifc job categories.
    >I'll fax you a sample if you will send me your
    >fax number. You will need to do some training
    >of the managers before you roll it out, but you
    >probably need to do that any way. Call or
    >e-mail me with your fax number at 615-371-8200
    >mmorford@mleesmith.com if you want to see the
    >form.
    >
    >Margaret Morford
    >theHRedge

• Margaret

I would be very interested in the evaluation form that you described. If you are willing please fax it to me at 716-942-4096. My name is Toni. Thanks.
  • The manager referenced in Craig's response is doing what should be done - tying the evaluation into the job description. Most evaluations, the ones which measure traits, are not accepted as accurate by employees and create all sorts of morale and legal problems. The best evaluations evaluate performance by measuring performance in an objective way. This means that the form is not the centerpiece of the evaluation program, as a lot of us think. The best "forms" are just tools, reflecting criteria which matches the job. As a result, they are different for different job categories and created internally. Getting management buy-in is critical and this is more likely to happen is they are part of designing the program. An HR generated program is often viewed by management as just another HR program which takes up management time. Craigs manager is on the right track - that person views employee appraisal as a management responsibility.
  • We I used to work, we had evaluation forms for non-exempt employees and for exempt employees. Where I currently work now the same form is used for every employee. There are 20 categories that we use to evaluate our employees ranging from knowledge to customer interfact to planning. If you are looking to revise your form, you might want to do some research on the web and check some HR websites.
  • I use a company called "Knowledgepoint" and they have a great program. You can tailor your evaluations as to the level of the employee. There are about 45 different competencies that can be used to outline what the employee is being evaluated on and they can be further customized if needed.

This is totally internet driven and each supervisor can pull up his or her employees when their review is due (a reminder is given to them via EMAIL). Goals, etc. can also be incorporated into the PE system. It also automatically calculates the review totals for you and you can tie this in with the percentage increase to the employee.

We will be rolling out this program the first of the year and I am hoping this will alleviate a lot of issues and problem we have been having with our old system.
  • I have used Knowledgepoint also. My copy is not as current, but what I really like about it is -- For the lazy supervisor, it's very user friendly and the results is a fairly decent individualized review; -- For the more thoughtful, verbage can be edited.
  • Can you share the form with me. Anna Carter, Ethicon, J&J. Email [email]acarter@ethus.jnj.com[/email]
  • I would truly appreciate if you could share the form with me as well. My e-mail is: [email]LSDoone@aol.com[/email]. Thanks!