Headsets for office phones

I have an employee who feels that inorder to do her job well she needs to have a headset conneted to her phone. She has been with the company for about 6 months now, the girl she replaced did her job for 6 years without using a headset. Guarenteed the employee is on the phone getting verification from insurance companies and can be on hold for a long period of time, waiting to speak with a live body. I have told her that during this time she should put her phone on speaker and when the calls goes thru then she can pick up the receiver and talk to the representative.

Initially what happen when she took the position, the girl who orders supplies asked her if she would like a headset, the new employee said yes, but this order was done with no approval from management and was a no! no!. The new employee also has a problem with personal phone calls constantly during the day, with head phones it is alot harder to distinguish what type of call she is on. Last week the director had me take the headset away from her stating it was not an approved requirement for her position. We did use her headset in our dept. that the employees are on the phone constantly. A few days later she produced a letter from her chiropractor stating because of neck issues she needs a headset for her position. We then told her if this is so that we would approve a headset for her at her expense, since her position does not require more than 20% of her time on the phone but she needed to be careful on her personal calls. Could this become an ADA/ workers comp issue since she had the problem before she came to work in our facility.

Thanks sorry so length

Comments

• 15 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Did the employee sign a conditional offer based upon completion of a physical and drug screen? Was there anything as a result of the physical that said she needed a headset? Perhaps you can supply the doctor with a job description including its physical demands. The doctor has no authority to say she needs a headset. The speaker phone would accomplish the same purpose. When she answers the phone, she should hold the phone properly so as not to adversely affect her neck. No, I don't see it as ADA or workers' comp unless she claims she developed that condition as a result of answering the phone on the job.

In addition, I would counsel her on personal calls. You may even ask her to complete a phone log for the purposes of determining the volume of business calls.

Good luck with it.
  • I think it's best to separate the personal-call issue and the medical issue. Tell her to stop making personal calls, and if you think she's still doing it, that you'll use technology to track the numbers she's talking to. Tell her in writing and have her sign it. (Listening to the calls is a whole 'nuther ball of wax.)

Then give her the headset. I go to a chiropractor every month, and I used to use a headset. The problem is scrunching your neck to hold the phone while you're typing or writing. She could easily claim workers' comp, and her first doctor bill would cost a lot more than a little headset.

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • James is in the center of the bullseye with this feedback. Today's headsets are inexpensive and can produce some excellent results with respect to efficiency and professionalism. Why invite a workers comp claim when the accomodation is both reasonable and inexpensive?

The personal phone calls can be tracked for outgoing calls quite easily, even our little ole bitty non-profit tracks these. I am not sure about incoming calls though. But if you suspect it is out of hand, have the discussion as James suggested and measure productivity from that point forward. If she is not getting the work done, sit down with her and examine why not.
  • I agree that you can give her the headset. You already have one - the one you took away from her. My contention was that the doctor cannot say that she must have a headset; that's only one option to take care of the neck problem.

The personal calls is a separate issue. James' idea is a good one. I have a feeling your employee will not want to comply so easily.
  • You're right, s moll, a doctor can't boss you around. My doctor told me to exercise and eat healthy foods but ... well, that's another story. x:-8

There might be another solution to the scrunchy-neck problem, especially if she doesn't have to type while on the phone. And I'm sure there are plenty of other ways to address personal calls.

Good luck, Ty!

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • Just for the sake of argument (a difficult position for me), I'll agree that a chiropractor nor any other practitioner has the 'authority' to mandate an accommodation. It's one thing for him to suggest alternatives that would ease her physical discomfort, but quite another to write a letter saying 'she needs a headset'. I know several people who yak on the phone all day using a headset because they think nobody will detect it. It's becoming the affliction-addiction of choice for today's airhead. It's right up there with the women who ride around in SUVs, turning corners, passing people, juggling babies and twinkies with a phone scrunched up between their ear and shoulder. Let one of them out in traffic and they don't even have the ability to wave 'thanks'. Totally pre-occupied airheads.

The company is within its rights to refuse to use headsets in this or other cases. Better yet, provide her with a speaker phone and see how long she lasts.
  • Scary as it sounds, I basically agree with you. But, I don't know why you didn't mention the male pseudoexecutive who is driving the car, drinking coffee, reading the Wall Street Journal (or checking his e-mail on the laptop)listening to Howard Stern and shaving with a phone scrunched up between his ear and shoulder talking an important deal with a customer while they are weaving through traffic because they are in a rush. ;;)
  • At least that guy's bringin' home the bacon, not on the way to the mall to spend it. x:-) (That makes twelve times in four months that you've agreed with me. You ought to get counseling).
  • You ought to get counseling.
    I tried, but no one would believe I was that far gone. x:'(

• Pshaw! I yusta could shift gears, drink coffe, smoke a cigarette, put on mascara and read the map and tap to the radio on Rt. 95 to Balmer City! - But I don't smoke anymore.
  • See what I mean? A woman driving to work who has to look at a map! On your reverse drive, did you hold the map upside down? x}>
  • Very funny, Don! I wasn't going to work, it was a seminar in Baltimore. I know my basic East and West. So all I had to do was keep the sun in my rear view mirror until I got back into familiar territory. See what I mean?
  • xclap and now you probably have a cell phone too!

yusta could? Is that a southern thing Sam?
  • I learnt it from my son who lives in Tennessee. Yep, he 'crossed over.'
  • Thank you all for the responses.
    All along she has had a speaker phone, we have re-educated her on how to use it on all hold calls. We have talked to her about her personal phone calls a few times but after taking the headset away from her she has not been talking on the phone as much.
    We have also counselled her on her work habits and told her she needs to establish a routine, consisting of prioritizing her duties and effectively managing her time. We also told her that her speed needs to increase without lose of accuracy.
    In the process of her correcting issues we also gave her kudos for her knowledge and ability to perform the required duties should she choose to follow our correction of time management and speed.