PHR Certification Recommendations?

I am considering testing for my PHR certification this December. Does anyone have any recommendations as to what I should be studying/doing to prepare? I would really appreciate any suggestions you might have.

Thank you,

Krista Denn

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • If you are not affiliated with a local chapter of SHRM you could check through SHRM to contact a local chapter. Some of these chapters sponsor study groups to help prep for the PHR or SPHR. You could also check with local colleges and universities to see if they offer classes. In Western Washington the City University offers them. I do not know if there is a City U in your part of the country. The SHRM Learning System is a good prep tool but is expensive.

I prepared for the exam through a study group. The text we used is Human Resource Management by R Mathis and J Jackson. It was the 9th edition but this was 2 years ago, there may be a newer edition. Publisher is South-Western College Publishing @ [url]www.swcollege.com[/url]
  • I used the SHRM Learning System, but it was through a local technical college in our town. It was an 11 week course (one night a week from 6-9 PM). It was an intense course, but well worth the price. The cost was around $700 (including all the books - but my company was kind enough to pay for this for me). We had a test every week and then a comprehensive test at the end. The PHR Certification test was a snap to pass after going through this course.

If you are disciplined enough, you may want to try to go through the modules by yourself and I believe you can order directly from SHRM. The study groups are very helpful though and keep everyone focused.

• Krista - if you go to this site : [url]http://www.shrm.org/learning/index.html[/url]
    click on colleges and universities and it gives you 3 schools in MN that offer the class that Rockie is talking about...it also gives you info. on the learning course.

Good luck on the test - the SHRM website says that only about 65% pass the course the first time. I am talking the class in the fall and will probably take the test in December, too.
  • When I decided to take the exam I enrolled in a preparatory course being offered through our local community college. I found it extremely helpful and was able to pass the exam.
  • I also enrolled in local community college SHRM class. Our passing rate was 100% - much better than the 65% overall rate. The class is well worth the time and money. But be prepared to study & forget about those TV shows! I have a greater respect for people who take 1-2 college classes while working, now.