April Fools!

April 1st is coming and I ALWAYS try to think of some good pranks on that day. This time I'm planning ahead and asking for help from each of you so I'm prepared! x:D

I've listed some below that I've pulled off myself OR that I've been the victim of . . . they're pretty basic. Any other ideas?

1. Put a rubber band around the "squirtie" thing (as HRQ said in another post) on the kitchen sink and when somebody turns on the water, poof, right in the face.

2. One time my daugthers came into my bedroom at about 6 a.m. and said, Mom, the dog pooped on the floor. Then they left my room and closed the door behind them. When I grabbed for the door, the doorknob was all lubed up with hand lotion. Darn kids.

3. Last year when I got out of the shower and went to my closet for clothes, my daugthers had taped my closet doors shut from the inside. (They had crawled out of the closet on dad's side).

I'm a few pranks behind and need some ideas!

Any suggestions . . . ?

Comments

• 31 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • A favorite of mine, courtesy of my brother who excels at practical jokes:

Look up the number for CBS studios in New York City. Then get the telephone number for the producers of 60 Minutes. With me so far?

Grab a telephone message slip and write it out to your boss: "Mike Wallace, 60 Minutes, phone xxx-xxxx called to talk to you. Urgent." Place the message face down on his chair.

Then sit back and watch the fun. x;-)
  • I always like to watch America's Funniest Home Videos this time of year for the April Fool's pranks. I've never really had a prank pulled on me. In high school we pulled a lot of (pretty mean) pranks though.
    One girl was a total kleptomaniac - friends would literally find their clothes at her house when they had NEVER let her borrow them. Cds and tapes would disappear out of people's cars, all kinds of things like that. So, for April Fool's a bunch of us went to Taco Bell in the middle of the night and bought a ton of chillitos (do they even still have those? they are like a chilli with refried beans in a flour tortilla). We each took two, opened up the tortilla part so it was flat, and smeared the contents onto her car. All over her car - windows, door handles, everywhere. It was a site.
  • Yes, Cinderella, they still have chillitos, but you have to ask for them becuase they're not on the menu.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-11-04 AT 02:25PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Aha! Another chillito fan.

I just remembered another one, but this one I saw on America's Funniest Home Videos -
    A family had rat in the house that they couldn't seem to get rid of (no it wasn't a pet). It hung out in the basement, so the wife wouldn't go down there. The husband took a plastic rat, cut it in half, and glued it to one of his little kid's pacifiers (on the handle end, not the nipple end). He then took the kid into the basement with him to pretend to try and "find the rat". I think the kid was like 18 months old. When the wife finally ventured into the basement (wanting to get the kid out of there), the husband gave the kid the pacifier and she promptly stuck it in her mouth so it appeared that the rat's rear end was hanging out of her mouth. =P~ The wife screamed bloody murder. It was great.
  • Here's a good one that I pulled a few years back. Teaming up with the maintenance guy, we went around the office and informed everyone that the phone company was going to be blowing out the phone lines today. So if you don't want any dust and soot blowing all over your desk, put a plastic bag around your phone. After awhile we went around to check to see if everyone was "complying" and one person even double bagged her phone "just in case the first bag broke". As realization sets in, it's hilarious to see people scramble to get the bags off. Good luck.

Here's how to get back at your kids: When you look at them, don't look them in the eye as you normally would. Look at a spot about 2" off either side of their face. It'll drive them nuts.
  • My brother once put a very real looking plastic poop on my living room rug and called me in from another room to tell me one of my cats had pooped on the rug. It looked so real I imagined I could smell it and was almost sick! He asked me for a paper towel and said he'd clean it up, and when I turned to get one, he said "never mind" and reached down and grabbed it with his hand! I was so shocked I screamed at him, and he came up laughing so hard - it was great. Anything with a plastic poop is funny.
  • I agree - plastic poop totally rules. th-up
  • The best April Fools joke that happened to me occured many years ago when I was the supervisor over a satellite facility with about 100 ee's. I would usually go in about an hour after 1st shift started since I overlapped with 2nd shift. Well, that April 1st, 1st shift decided to play a little prank on me. They all parked their cars on adjoining streets and hid behind the building so when I got there it would look like we were closed and no one had told me. They expected me to call the main plant and tell them I lost my employees. Well, the joke backfired. I rode my bike to work that day and forgot my keys to the building and couldn't get in to call anybody. I saw a head peek around the corner and with a quick investigation and realization what day it was, I figured out what they were up to. Had a lot of fun that day.
  • A few years ago I pulled this on a co-worker who was notorious for the practical jokes she pulled on others - I gave her a pink "While You Were Out" message slip that instructed her to call Myra Mains (my remains) at xxx-xxx-xxxx (the number of the Cremation Society) - Urgent! She got very flustered when she couldn't get through because the line was busy, and didn't recognize the number. When she realized she'd been "had" she laughed, and felt humbled that someone had finally been able to pull a joke on her! Another co-worker answered his phone (internal calls only) "City Morgue - you stab 'em, we slab 'em".
  • Leave a message that Mr. Foxx called and wants to be called back. The phone number should be the zoo's.

• A co-worker pulled this on me several months ago. The ceiling fan in my office is hooked up to the light switch. I entered my office early one morning and turned on the light. The fan blades had all been loaded with hundreds of paper clips, which began flying into every nook and cranny in my office. I was laughing so hard that it took me awhile to get my composure to turn off the light and stop the fan. We all had alot of fun with that one!
  • So Shelby, who cleaned up the paperclips? The coworker?
  • Believe it or not, I did. But was laughing while I did it. I wasn't going to ask him to, because someday, when he least expects it, and I get him back "real good" I don't want to have to clean up HIS mess!!!! Must be the HR in me, always trying to keep one step ahead of the game!
  • This happened a couple of years ago. I worked as an HR manager for a company that owned several gas stations - you know the monster ones where there are tv's at every pump, a convenience store, a car wash, a lube and fast food restaurants. The fast food restaurants included Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, an ice cream place & a hamburger place.

In addition to the goodies, we had a conference room upstairs that many of the vendor rep's used for their regional meetings. On April Fool's day, the Taco Bell rep's were meeting and the GM and I hatched a prank. We printed out a fake AP news wire report - looked very real and the GM took it into the meeting & gave it to the team leader with the instruction that the VP of Taco Bell Sales demanded that the team leader read this wire report out loud to everyone and start making plans. (The GM played the part really well, he was slightly panicked and his eye's looked worried.) The wire report read something to the effect of, "It is will great pleasure that McDonald's Corporation announces it's purchase of the Taco Bell franchises. Unable to reach officials at Taco Bell for confirmation, the Taco Bell dog was quoted as saying, "Yo quiero McDonalds." The GM and I were listening outside the door & we heard gasps from some & others saying no way and then we heard everyone getting on their phones. The conversations were pretty priceless. We couldn't stop laughing & the gig was up in about 10 minutes. No one was mad & they all vowed revenge the following year.
  • I'm pretty naive when it comes to this stuff. It is easy to get me. When I was in College, I was picking up a friend to take her back to college with me after a weekend at home(we were roommates). She came down with crutches and said that she had broken her ankle. She played it really well. I was completely sympathetic with her and we talked about what she would do at work etc. Well that evening I was in the kitchen and you could see the living room from there. She yells for me and when I look up she was jumping up and down yelling 'April fools'!! She really had me going.
  • Mcmel,
    Don't be too hard on folks on April Fool's. This is my birthday and I have had some doozies in my life time.
    The day I was born, my parents had someone staying with my older brother and sister when they left and went to hospital. My grandparents came over (or called, I forgot) and they told them that Mother was in the hospital giving birth to me... they wouldn't believe her and finally had to have them call the hospital to confirm it. They thought it was an April Fool's prank. I have gotten everything from a box of gravel to a live frog (that jumped out when opened) for gifts. It is a great time to have a birthday!!
    E Wart
  • E Wart, a frog jumping from a box doesn't sound like a good time to me; I would be constantly on guard. You are braver than I am.

I'll skip the chilito idea, vandalism is a little too extreme for me, BUT there were SOME ideas in this post that got me thinking! I'll let you all know how it goes!
  • Nobody got me yet today . . . but I'm pretty nervous! I won't leave my desk for fear that somebody is going to tamper with something.

HELP!

I did lube up (hand lotion) the door knobs on my daughters bedroom doors. That was a fine "good morning". x:D
  • Stay at your desk and keep your back to the wall and your eye on the door, Mel. We'll send over lunch. x;-)
  • WHAT are you going to do to my lunch? :-?
  • Mel, why the paranoia? Do you deserve for people to get you?

The janitor got me today. A few weeks ago there was a post about dancing with the janitor. I told our janitor about it. He comes in around lunch time and today was dressed in a French Maids outfit. He came into my office and my assistant was prepared with the camera and got 2 good pictures. Very scary.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-01-04 AT 12:53PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Yes I do deserve it. Shhh. I'm a practical joker anyway. I'm on guard today.

I already convinced one guy that he must have sat in something, and he was feeling his butt for the next hour.

Right now, one of the office guys is moving the supervisor's car across the street and putting a for sale sign on it. She's not going to be too happy. I'm not involved, I'm sitting at my desk. Back me up.
  • Gee, Mel. Glad you don't work with me - I'd be checking my six on a continual basis!
  • Yeah. It means I'd always be looking behind me! x;-)
  • Oh, scared me there for a minute.
  • This morning's drive time radio carried a news notice about making sure you pay your "pet tax" by April 5th or your local police would confiscate your pet and donate it to medical research. More than a few employees were pretty upset at that "news".

With gullible people like that walking around here today I thought, "Boy, if I just had a pack of Oreo cookies and a tube of white toothpaste."
  • So, McMel: It's over now. Tell us; did anybodygetya?
  • Don't know about McMel, but thought this was pretty good.
    As some of you probably know, next year's superbowl is to be held in nearby Jacksonville.(first time) There has been a lot of discussion as to whether we can swing it. .not enough rooms so they are bringing in cruise ships etc.. .yesterday one of the local radio stations annouced that NFL reps. had come and made the ruling. . Jax couldn't handle it and they were moving it to NY. Went on for 3 hours. Story got all the way to NY and people were calling from everywhere. "I just rented a place in Jax, now what do I do etc." The Superbowl host committee was NOT amused, but I thought it was pretty clever.

• People tried to get me by telling me little fibs, but I consistently said, "Ya right, April Fools".

Maybe the joke was on me all along, though, because I spent the day paranoid, second-guessing everything and nothing happened. :-?