Rally walk out

124»

Comments

• I hope our legislators in Wash DC come up with something more than "Follow the Law." The law and the current system are what have gotten us to this point. There is no evidence from the past 30 years that we have been able to control illegal immigration using our current system.

I think our country has an illegal immigration addiction that we dont want to admit. We didnt think we had a big problem and we liked some of the benefits of illegal immigration: steady supply of inexpensive labor, cheap goods and services.

Then we woke up one day and realized our habit had gotten out of control. Our addiction has taken over. Fixing the problem by saying "follow the law" is like solving the war on drugs by "just saying no".
  • I'm assuming that your last sentence is a sidehanded comment towards me. When I said follow the law, I was talking about the situation that you posted about the children that "lost" their parents. I asked you what should happen. I'm not sure you even answered. My answer was that the law should be followed. It sucks for the kids, but the parents broke the law.

Next time you quote me, make sure you get it right.
  • Ok, I misunderstood you. I thought you were talking about the illegal immigration problem as a whole issue. "Follow the law" seemed a pretty simplistic answer.

I dont have a real good answer to Jamie's parents situation because I think the current flawed system created it and will continue to perpetuate more Jaime's until something is done to fix it.

My question to you was how would you fix our illegal immigration problem.
  • Nevertheless, "Fixing the (immigration) problem by saying 'follow the law' is like solving the war on drugs by 'just saying no'" is an apt analogy.
  • It would be an apt analogy if someone had suggested to fix it by following the law. No one has.

It is obvious the system as a whole doesn't work. But I don't have an answer. There are people a lot smarter than me trying to figure it out and they can't.
  • Can't or won't? Like I said, I think we have allowed the situation to get to the point where it is because we like some of the beneficial aspects of illegal immigration. We just dont like it when the immigrants stop picking our vegetables and ask to be recognized.

There is something keeping our government from really addressing this problem but for the life of me I dont know what it is.
  • I have checked with all of our Plants (eight). CA (LA area) is the only one I am aware of that had folks participating. Two employees scheduled ahead of time to be off, proper way, and one did a no call no show and was written up through normal procedures. I was surprised we didn't have more. (So far I have not heard of any temporary employees that didn't show up.)

By the way, on the "drug issue that was mentioned".... I don't know if any of you "bake", but if you know anyone going to Mexico, get them to go into a pharmacy and bring you a bottle of vanilla extract/flavoring. This is THE BEST. You can truly tell the difference, and it is SO cheap. I use it all the time. (Does this make me a "drug dealer"?) May be the Mexican immigrants can set up "vanilla" stores. This would be a win-win situation.

E Wart