Hostile Work Environment

It is evident to me that my boss, the x}> CEO, has created a Hostile Work Environment for me ( I guess I should say, against me).

I have endured 9 months of personal character assassinations, outright lies ( his going to fellow ees and even my assistant and telling them lies to pit them against me, etc...), re-arranging my office furnishings around, even telling me he would turn my office into a complete filing room with just enough room for my desk, telling me the BOD wants me to look into Employee Leasing (when I know that they are very happy with my HR performance), threatening my job, doing all kinds of illegal things "against HR policies", keeping me completely out of the loop, etc...

I have endured that and much more because the job market is quite bad, and since I am not sure how much longer I will need to take this abuse, I would like to ask if any of you have any suggestions to make my working life sane enough to hold out xpray (as sole supporter for my family, I cannot be without a job)for a more humane environment?

As usual, I appreciate all your input.
Thanks.

Comments

• 17 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I don't think that there is any way to turn this into a sane environment if the CEO wants it insane, or perhaps force you to leave. The usual options apply - talk to him and try to figure out the why, complain to the Board of Directors (that usually doesn't result in a positive ending) or leave. You might just have to get the gumption together to figure out how you leave, support a family and go on to the next stage of life. If there are illegalities going on you might want to figure out how you can use that to your advantage.
  • Has it been this way since the beginning? What do you think is at the root of it? i agree with Gillian. If you haven't yet, I would get my ducks in a row and have a heart to heart.
  • As I recall, this is the same genius who wanted to make production workers exempt, correct? Usually I'm a big believer in "there's two sides to every story, so just talk it out like rational adults," but this guy sounds hopeless, and perhaps even a little crazy. It's too bad you don't feel you can take a big risk, but I understand you've got to make a living. If you don't feel like you can afford to quit or take a chance on going to the BOD, just try your best to maintain your professionalism while you look for another job. And document anything that suggests his hostile treatment is based on any protected class you might be a member of.
  • Whirlwind - what excellent recall you have; you are right it is the same genius. There is no way to talk to this individual. And talking to the BOD is out of the question.

I will shop the market and until then I will just need to endure ...
  • How long has he been there? My personal experience has been that many good employees can outlast the jerks that made their lives miserable.
    Only you know whether you can outlast him &/or whether you should even try. If it was a wonderful job before he came along, I would probably attempt to stay. But I would still put my resume out & see what came along - you'll never know until you try.

As for hostile work environment - technically, that's not the case unless he has singled you out based on protected class. Constructive discharge might be a possibility if all the elements are there. Of course, that would mean filing a suit & I doubt you want that - you probably just want to go to work & do your job well. That may require a change of employment. Good luck to you!
  • Your post indicates that the CEO has "done all sorts of illegal things" , "against HR policies". I would suggest you write down everything that has happened. Then go through an analysis of whether it's truely illegal or just boorish behavior. If it's illegal, consider seeking legal counsel but..... recognize that it won't make the job search any easier.

Were it me, I'd grunt my way through it up to the point that I find the next job. I'd then leave gracefully.
  • Jake is right on! I've run through this same sewer barefoot(ed). I would love for you to be able to approach him like adults and have a heart to heart and exchange roses and hug and you get a new mahogany desk out of it. But, it ain't gonna happen. From personal experience, I project the person is threatened by your presence, perhaps your knowledge and your acceptance by the managers who use you for advice and counsel. Some people seem to flourish by surrounding themselves with other than the best people who function well independently and as a team. I never understood that, but can vouch that it is true. You can let yourself be driven into mild depression, daily literal heartburn and an assortment of other discomforts. Create the best possible resume you can and shop it wisely. When the day comes, exit like a gentleperson with appropriate notice and a glowing letter offering your assistance with an orderly transition.

And yes, document now every detail you have regarding violations of company policy and labor law. Keep a copy offsite.
  • Document, document, document! and if you do choose to leave, do what my mom taught me to do with bullies until then. Ignore his attemps to upset you and present a blank or pleasant expression when he says something stupid - hold your head high, sending the message that the lies are just that, lies, and that you can rise above his behavior - that will irritate him more than anything else! and do what Don suggested - keep a copy of all of this off site. Good luck!
  • To All:

Thank you for all your support and frankly, for just being there for me... it has been very, very difficult.

I am documenting, although should be doing more of it.

And yes, Don D, you are right of course, although everything screams otherwise, I will need to exit (when the time comes, hopefully sooner than later) like a gentleperson.

You put your finger on it: Some people seem to flourish by surrounding themselves with other than the best people who function well independently and as a team. This CEO loves to surround himself with ineptitude and incompetence.
    He loves to create chaos and prides himself on coming into my office, most especially, throwing a grenade, and walking away whistling...

All the great advice, and input - I do appreciate it all.

Thank you.

• Boy, talk about hating to get out of bed in the morning. The 9 months you stated, can you guess what occurred to begin the reign of terror? Is he new to the organization?

What I would do is kill him with kindness. Nothing upsets a malicious and wicked creature more than being nice to him after he just tormented you. It's similar to how do you argue with someone that agress with you?

The advise you received about documenting ALL the objectionable things said and done to you is right on target. List dates, witnesses and any details that are relevant. One day that journal may be your salvation. Keep us posted.

• Ever heard of "constructive discharge". An environment made so unbearable that the "reasonable" person is left no choice but to leave. It is illegal, but the burden of proof is on you. DOCUMENT EVERYTHING! I say again, DOCUMENT EVERYTHING! I recently counseled an employee who was a single mother of 4 and who felt "trapped" because of that, to do the same and to contact an attorney in the early stages of her situation. There were things that bordened on sexual harassment, and the CEO (a snake in disguise) had full support of the corporate office so there was nowhere for her (or me as the HR Director) to go (I have since left that employer). She did not document anything, did not contact an attorney, and they fired her shorly after I left, "creating" a discipline file on her. She had no recourse and when she talked to an attorney he told her the same. She should have documented every incident no matter how small. I suggest you do the same, seek legal counsel, and follow his/her advice. What this manager is doing is unethical, unprofessional, and potentially illegal.

• Constructive discharge is applied within the context of a Title VII claim, and there is nothing like that implied in the original post. Further, the situation defined by the poster does not seem to rise to the level of an adverse employment action. It stinks to work for a jerk, and I think the poster would do well to get out of there as fast as she possibly can, but there's nothing illegal in what we've been told.
  • Yes, I have heard of the term, and thank you for reminding me of it. I guess that is exactly what he is doing.

I have been documenting, and I guess I need to be more vigilant about that too (it is so time consuming).

He came in my office today to tell me he is moving my office again. What joy!

Oh, well, I can only pray that I will find another position sooner than later.

Thanks for your input and wise words.

• djacobs: You situation reads like the lead article on HRhero web page: "When Harassment makes an employee quit". A recently determined supreme court action may help you to decide what you need to do.

PORK
  • Thank you Pork, I will be sure to read it - and will hopefully glean some information from it.

• Pork is correct...read these cases: In 1998, the U.S. Supreme Court addressed the rules governing a company’s liability for the discriminatory and harassing conduct of its supervisory employees, in the landmark cases of Burlington Industries v. Ellerth and Faragher v. City of Boca Raton.

Bottom line, don't just wait until it gets so bad that you quit. Start doing something about it!
  • The harassment still has to be against a protected class and with the information presented, I don't see it.