how to welcome back underperforming employee who is returning from personal leave?

Anyone have suggestions on how to welcome back a staff who hasn't had a good track record and isn't accepted or appreciated by their peers? Thanks!

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [quote user="akjane"] Anyone have suggestions on how to welcome back a staff who hasn't had a good track record and isn't accepted or appreciated by their peers? Thanks![/quote]

A balloon on their chair and a "welcome back" banner across their cube?

• Absolutely you want to welcome them back from a full recovery from whatever condition or situation that prevented them from working.  As a good faith employer that shows concern and respect for EVERY employee; this sets the tone of how we as a company are to respectfully treat and address each other.  I am meaning to say, that it is not the responsibility of the peers to address this employee’s poor performance by disrespect, segregation and/or harassment (even on the smallest scale).  Sincerely welcoming this staff member back will establish the positive and constructive base necessary to address the real issue of poor performance.

Once the employee is returned to their original position, then the Supervisor/Manager and HR need to set the employee down face-to-face and reestablish the performance expectations in detail, address (specifically/individually) the employee’s areas of deficiency, provide whatever training/tools/equipment/etc that is necessary to help insure that this employee is able to achieve the desired results and then set a timeline of expected completion.  When it’s a general performance issue that I am addressing, I use a Performance Improvement Plan (PIPS), which can be found on any HR site.  I typically give them around a month to achieve the desired goal with a meeting every week to note the employee’s progress.  I always recommend being respectful during these sessions, and ALWAYS state the value provided by the employee thus far while directly addressing the few areas of deficiency as I reassure the employee that I believe they CAN achieve the goals set forth AND always offer yourself to assist in their development to achieve that goal.

If the employee begins to turn around and meet performance expectations, then wonderful, you have salvaged a team member while holding the excellence standard of addressing team members in a respectful and dignified manner while showing yourself to be the leader and pace setter for acceptable work-place behaviors.  These employees can and often become your best and most loyal supporters for you have developed them to a new level sometimes beyond what they thought possible.  And this lets others know that you mean business and you WILL do whatever it takes to raise the bar of excellence and ensure that everyone always “takes the high road” while leaving the corrective measures in your capable hands.

If the employee is unable to perform the expectations, minus any ADA/FMLA/etc mitigating reason(s), then you have done everything that you can as a good faith employer and you now have the proper documentation to support any corrective action that is warranted.  And you will be able to sleep at night by knowing that you have done the RIGHT thing even if it results in ending the employment of this particular staff member.

• Thank you!  I really appreciate your feedback.  I'm positive the actions you mentioned will be put into place.

I'm also concerned about what the other members of our team can do to accept her into the office again.  This employee has a right to come back with a fresh start -- but her past performance has burned relationships with her teammates.  How can I support those other teammates as they welcome her back and try to give her a fresh start?

Thanks again! 

• I’m glad to assist with this matter as it is very important in establishing inter-office communications and behaviors which is the underlying driver of performance, EE satisfaction and the team’s ability to achieve the company’s overall goals and objectives.  Just prior to this EE’s return, I would hold a meeting with the most immediate team members and address the issue head-on.  (They do call me the queen of direct communications where I am!). 

The topics I would cover very clearly and decisively:

1.      Thank them for being present in the meeting (thank them for their time).

2.      Thank them for their efforts as a team thus far.

3.      Provide examples of how their team-interactions have helped support the company’s primary objectives/goals.

4.      Reassure them that EVERY team member is valuable and integral to the overall operations.

5.      Reassert yourself as the leader of the team: by informing them that ANY future performance issues will be addressed in a timely and appropriate manner by YOU and YOU alone.  Inform them that any attempt to deviate from this program will NOT be tolerated and appropriate action will be taken in such an event.  Meaning to say that, if they take matters into their own hands by being disrespectful to her, then you will address/correct THEIR behavior.

6.      Inform them that they still have the right to address deficiencies that DIRECTLY affect them but that these issues need to be brought to you immediately and in confidence.

7.      Reintroduce the standard of work-place behavior as being one based on dignity and mutual respect, despite how they “feel” about each other.

8.      Recap on everything you already stated.  That YOU will address any necessary issues, that YOU expect them to be professional (despite their feelings) and YOU will be watching EVERYONE’S performance (both performance and behaviorally based)!   

9.      Finish up by asking, “Does anyone have any questions with the information provided at today’s meeting because I want you to have a clear understanding of my expectations going forward from today?”

Always remember that when you have more than one person in a group, there is ALWAYS a leader!  Ask yourself, “Who is leading my group?”

• [quote user="akjane"]

Thank you!  I really appreciate your feedback.  I'm positive the actions you mentioned will be put into place.

I'm also concerned about what the other members of our team can do to accept her into the office again.  This employee has a right to come back with a fresh start -- but her past performance has burned relationships with her teammates.  How can I support those other teammates as they welcome her back and try to give her a fresh start?

Thanks again! 

[/quote]

OK, I was being a little tongue in cheek before but a lot of good things have been said so far.  As you have revealed more about the situation, I'm now a little more interested in the details.  This isn't just about task performance, it's about social performance, which most now acknowledge is part of job competency.  How has this person burned bridges with other employees?  Has it merely been because her work has been sub par, which has required others to make up for her short comings, or is there something else going on?