Layoff of New Employees

I just started a new position about 2 weeks ago and we were informed of two rounds of layoffs. There were about 4 of us new employees and 2 of them were laid off after less than a month of employment. Is that legal? I am in the state of Texas and I'm nervous about my own fate in this company. I have a 90 day "probationary" period. Does the layoff fall under those guidelines? I know Texas is an at-will state so a I just out of a job if I am indeed laid off?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [quote user="erik13dh"]I just started a new position about 2 weeks ago and we were informed of two rounds of layoffs. There were about 4 of us new employees and 2 of them were laid off after less than a month of employment. Is that legal? I am in the state of Texas and I'm nervous about my own fate in this company. I have a 90 day "probationary" period. Does the layoff fall under those guidelines? I know Texas is an at-will state so a I just out of a job if I am indeed laid off?[/quote]

Heck yes it's legal, unless you have a contract of employment that stipulates a specific term.  The probationary period is irrelevent to pretty much everything except in some rather special circumstances that probably will not apply should you be laid off.

• The only real law that covers layoffs is WARN. And the employer has to be a certain size at that.  Texas does not have any state laws in regards to layoffs. Some companies have specific policies on what type of, if any, severance is given. 

It is legal to layoff as business needs dictate. 

All I can suggest is that if you do get laid off that you file a claim for unemployment. Most likely it will hit your previous employer's account, not the new current one because you have not been there long enough.

Good luck! DH has been laid off 3 times in the last 8 years. It stinks.

• HRforME is spot on--I am currently processing our layoffs, which aren't many, but still needed, in the great state of TX.  There is not much that you can do other than try to present yourself in the most positive of lights, perform to your best, and hope you are not part of these cuts.  Unemployment will be your only compensation recourse if you are laid off.  Luckily, in TX at least, the unemployment insurance benefits are pretty good.  I wish you luck!