School Districts

Does anyone know where I can find out about regulations or rules that School Districts follow. I used to work in HR and I know teach. I seems that the rules and regulations are different and I want to know what guidelines they follow. Thanks in advance.

-CC

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • The teacher's union

The school board

The state board of education.

• So are you telling me that school districts don't follow any state laws?
  • [quote user="trulyblssd"]So are you telling me that school districts don't follow any state laws?[/quote]

Nope.  I misread your original question.  I'm answering the question, "where are some places I can go to learn about laws and regulations that apply to schools?"

You can also check your state's statutes which are probably online.

• Thanks so much for all you help!

I am not beating my head against a wall here, because everything was so much more simple in the corporate world for me....probably because I understood and knew all of the laws.

Maybe you can help me or point me in the right directions. I am going to be going on pregnancy leave in August. In a school district because we don't pay into state disability we have to purchase our own STD, which I have done. My STD provider told me that after 5 straight days of being out my disability will take effect, which is great and comparable to state disabitility. My district office is telling me that I have to use all of my sick days, vacations day and comp days. In essence I will be getting paid by two different sources. Now, if I remember correctly in CA one could not be paid by both your employer and the state. I was wondering if something was wrong here. Any help is appreciated.

• I strongly suggest posting your question out on Labor Law Talk.com.  I know at least a few of the gurus have experience in the public sector and at least one in a school setting. 

That said, what little I know is not in CA, but in TX. My sister (who is a teacher in a TX school district) got paid both through sick/vacation/comp bank that she had accrued over many years AND by her private STD program, so yes, she made more than 100% when she was out on disability.  I don't know if CA is different.

Are you required to purchase the STD?  Or is it optional? That might make a difference.

• It's an optional program. I will go over and post this question. It's all so confusing.
  • This seems like a straightforward benefits question.  If you obtained your STD coverage through your employer, you should be able to just ask their benefits administrator.  Someone from California will chime in soon.
  • [quote user="TXHRGuy"]This seems like a straightforward benefits question.  If you obtained your STD coverage through your employer, you should be able to just ask their benefits administrator.  Someone from California will chime in soon.[/quote]

Your right....it's does seems straighforward. The problem is that the people in our HR department don't have the answers as to why. All they can tell me is that they are only doing what they were taught. That is just not good enough for me. I'm not fighting the rule, I just want to know why and where the rule came from. I don't think that is too much to ask from an HR department of a huge school district, but apparently it is. Bitter much......no .. not me! :)

• If I understand the question, the issue is not that you can't be paid by both your STD policy and your accrued time, but it cannot equal to more than your regular pay. Is your STD plan the SDI Elective Coverage Program through the State?  Your benefits or leave person in your HR department should have information to provide you on taking maternity leave in CA.   If you are eligible for FMLA,  typically employers will coordinate your wages with your short term disability, using your accrued time to "make up" your full wages when you are off.  That is why you are paid from two sources.

In California we have Paid Family Leave also, with partipants eligiblity defined by their contribution to the state's SDI program.  You would not be eligible for this,  unless you pay into the SDI elective coverage program through the state.    The CA EDD website also has some decent information for employees and employers on this subject.