Recognition Programs

We are a governmental agency that cannot use the public funds to do regular recognition programs.  Does anyone out there have any ideas that they are using to recognize upstanding employees or employees doing special "above the call of duty" projects? 

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We have certificates and personalized thank you notes that we send out to employees for a job well done.  We also have monthly bagel breakfasts where we publicly acknowledge anyone who has done an especially outstanding job in the previous month.  We also include kudos in our monthly HR newsletter.
  • While it is nice to get a gift certificate, a bonus, etc. for a job well done, I sometimes think the small stuff makes a bigger impact.  Our President/CEO sends out an email to all of our employees when someone has gone above and beyond.  Also, we sometimes get emails from our customers about a job well done.  Our President will send that email out to the whole company saying "Thank you" to the employee.
  • The notes with a handwritten signature, rather than an e-mail, are the way to go. Can be displayed, taken home to show off, kept, etc. and are much more personal and meaningful.

If you don't have a company newsletter, you can post the recognized employee info on your agency intranet--maybe with pictures of employees.

• I agree about the handwritten signature, but unfortunately, the majority of my employees are out of the office most of the time so email works best for us so that everyone knows the person is getting recognized.  This way it allows the other employees to send a message back to the person saying good job, etc.

• We are also a Government agency, and we use a few different methods. We have cards that anyone can use to thank a fellow employee for lending a hand, going above and beyond, etc. Employees can also nominate someone to receive movie tickets that can be given to an employee with a card for special recognition.  For outstanding recognition, a $25.00 gift certificate for a meal out can also be included.  Kudos are included in the staff newsletter that is sent out with every pay stub.  We also place posters in coffee rooms with the kudos for the past few months.  And of course, we also say 'thank you' and 'great job' as often as possible - this goes a long way to build a positive corporate culture!
  • Thank you all for some great ideas.  I can't wait to get some started.  We are just opening an intranet site for employees and I thought that would be a great spot for everyone to know who is getting recognized, but needed the ideas for the individual recognition.  Thanks again.
  • I work for a non-profit organization and have found that intrinsic rewards (i.e. kudos) going farther than extrinsic rewards (i.e. $).  We recognize staff members that go above and beyond in our monthly staff meetings. In addition, the employee is aware that their "going above and beyond" will be noted in their employee record.  Good luck, your definitely on the right path.