Resignation and Notice Period!!!!!

i have already resign from the company ( i have completed 1.4 yrs in this company) and even given the notice period of 20days which will end on 31st Jan... but now, management is asking not to continue from today itself, because they are insecure that it will affect the environment if everyone knows that i have resign........

but i want to complete my notice period??

So can you all suggest what can be done is such situation??

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • you'll have to check your state law but i don't know of a law that obligates your employer to keep you after you've given notice unless it promised to do exactly that.  employers concerned about security or other matters sometimes will ask the employee to leave immediately but will pay the employee for the two weeks.
  • In New York, you can ask an employee to leave the day they have given notice.  Some organizations will still pay their employees through the notice period regardelss of when they are asked to leave.  In other cases, if the employee is going to a competitor for instance, there is no obligation to pay the employee through the notice period.

In any event, as long as you have successfully transitioned your work to someone else I am not sure it is worth creating a potentially contentious situation by asking to stay longer than the organization needs you to stay.

Best wishes in your new position.

E.

• If the employer dismisses you prior to the end of your notification period without paying you through the notification period, you can usually win a UI claim.  Your cause of termination is no longer voluntary and it is not due to misconduct associated with the work.