›

employee orientation and office etiquette

A member of upper management sent me a copy of an article he'd read over the weekend about college graduates who are taking their first job and what they should keep in mind in terms of office etiquette. The article was about not being too loud, being brief and discreet when using a cell phone, not decorating their cube with things like posters of musicians (or other items that may make them look unprofessional),  and other things of that nature (including a few peculiar ones like "don't eavesdrop" and "don't  gossip").  The gist of the article was basically telling readers (new grads starting new jobs) that they're not in college anymore, that they're in a professional environment, and should act accordingly.

I should add here that we hire quite a few 'straight out of college employees' each year. Anyway, along with the article, this manager attached a message that he'd like to see "these sort of things get incorporated into [our] new employee orientation program."  I intend to comply with his request, but I'm also concerned about how to present such information in a way that doesn't in fact make new hires feel like they are still in school (and I don't want to insult them). Frankly, I also feel like these are the type of behaviors that should be addressed if they show themselves (and that a preemptive discussion on them seems unnecessary).

Any ideas on how I might put this into our orientation training without getting things off on the wrong foot with new hires? 

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Maybe you can send the info along with any "welcome to the company" info you send to new hires before their first day.  We usually include a letter that tells them (in general terms) about the dress code, what time they're expected to arrive, what they should plan for lunch the first day (someone's going to take them out or where the cafeteria is, etc.), and a "map" that shows the layout of our offices.  A separate sheet with the etiquette info could go into the packet.  I think most new hires are happy to have info in advance.
  • I think this type of article would be offensive. If you've hired these people, you should have some level of confidence in them to be professional. If you really want to do something like this, maybe you can incorporate some type of brainstorming activity during orientation on workplace etiquitte, pet peeves, things like this so that your new hires are coming up with these types of unacceptable behaviors themselves instead.

Hope this helps!

• If you are really between a rock and a hard place here--in other words, you don't want to insult new hires by preaching to them about office etiquette, but your boss is basically saying he/she wants you to--then why not try doing it with a little humor? On YouTube, for example, there are some very funny videos on office etiquette, including one where every "offendor" gets blind-side tackled by an "office linebacker"/football player.  It's hysterical--see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9piqiV7xLg.

If you can't find something online that does the trick (though I suspect I only scratched the surface of office etiquette videos available online)  try creating a short video with a few co-workers where one of the employees does a few 'over the top', obnoxious things like make and take disruptive cell phone calls and other inconsiderate, immature behavior.  This way, you can plant the seed to them to be considerate of co-workers without coming across as if you're a babysitter listing what the "rules" are.

Also, just because I saw that you mentioned "office gossip", I did come across a (mostly) serious, brief video that seems like it was created for the purpose of discouraging office gossip.  Up to you to decide whether its effective: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUuKZF2L0mo

• There is a new book, Do It Right! The New Book of Business Etiquette, that purports to help businesses end "etiquette ambiguity" that is making it difficult for employees, especially recent graduates, to know what proper workplace behavior is.

All the etiquette points are one-sentence long and unambiguous.  They are grouped by behavioral situations.

Since this is a paperback, perhaps you can just hand a copy out to new hires.

• johnny bravo, that is absolutely one of the funniest YouTube videos i have EVER seen!!!

• Hey Johnny B, we need that guy over here!  Got a job description for a workplace "enforcer"?

• I'm Canadian (as you can see).  Anyone know if the Hanson triplets need a job?
  • In their New Hire paperwork sent to employee, their should be an information sheet on "Professional Policies".