Drinking & Driving in the Company Car...

I have a friend who is in a professional sales position.  One of the benefits of her job is the use of a company car.  She and her sales partner meet up with clients during the day at their offices and at night for dinners.  One night, after dinner with a client, her sales partner gunned the accelerator of her own company car and slammed into the car behind her, not denting the car she hit, but creating a quite sizeable dent in her own bumper.  She drove off without saying anything to my friend about it. 

As my friend has gotten to know her sales partner, she has noticed a pattern developing...her partner likes to drink a little too much at dinner, and then she drives home drunk.  Sometimes she's even unprofessional with the clients with whom they meet!  My friend has offered to drive her home several times, but her sales partner refuses, and says she is fine.  My friend feels like this is a disaster waiting to happen, and that someone could get hurt...  Let's be realistic about this...people are obviously going to have a drink or two with dinner and then drive home...but her partner doesn't seem to be handling her liquor too well. 

My friend wants to talk to their sales manager about it, but she's been known to drink and drive in her own company car!  (It's the company culture, I guess...)  Anyway, should she go straight to HR with her concerns?  Or should she just let it drop?  She is worried that something might happen and she did nothing to stop it....but on the other hand, doesn't know if the situation is serious enough to warrant voicing her concerns straight to HR and jumping over her sales partner (who has seniority on her) and her manager. 

Any suggestions?  My friend is desperate for advice...

Thanks!

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • maybe your friend can bring up the situation with her sales partner first? this was at least their relationship won't become strained if her partner finds out that she went to HR first w/o bringing it up between them? if she phrases it the right way, who knows, her sales partner might even appreciate a built-in designated driver?!
  • she has to tell someone about this behavior. she should stick to the facts (describe the behavior she witnessed) without accusing the person of being drunk or having a problem with alcohol. the company should have a policy on alcohol and handle it accordingly.  if the company won't do anything, the next time the co-worker drives after having more too many two drinks in a short period of time, your friend should call the police.
  • Before calling the police, you could report your inebriated friend to the bartender or restaurant manager and let one of them handle the situation before she leaves.They are used to handling this (they will probably call a cab for her), and it takes you out of directly confronting her all the time.  It also acts as second-party verification of the inebriation.

Also, are the drinks at these sales meetings being charged to the company on an expense account?  This would probably come under your company's entertainment/expense account policy. 

• I believe this is a no-brainer, especially if there is a company policy in place regarding substance abuse.  She needs to report this - NOW following the procedure in the policy or if none, then to Human Resources.  Obviously she has mentioned this behavior to her partner with her offer to drive her partner home.   Besides the potential legal ramifications this leaves open to the company, I wouldn't want to have the burden upon my shoulders if the partner should have an accident causing injury or death.   Remember, in most states, it only takes one drink to be over the legal limit.