Credit Report on Existing Employee

We are a bank and have an employee with some suspicious activity on his account. Our audit dept has requested a current credit report on him. The only thing we have signed is when he was first hired (2003) that gives us authorization to run it. I don't believe we can legally run one without his authorization but wanted to make sure that there wasn't a way we could because of the suspicious activity.

For future, would it be okay to add a clause to the Authorization they sign at hire that we may run one at anytime during their employment?

Thanks for any input :)

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • The release form we have our employees sign upon hire that authorizes all of the background & credit checks states "I hereby grant ([I]employer) [/I]at any time during my application for employment [U]or during the course of my employment[/U], authority to conduct an inquiry into my employment history and performance. I understand that as part of this inquiry a criminal record, driving record, and credit check may be conducted." We haven't had to do it very often, but having the authorization on file is a good thing in case we feel we have to. I would definitely add that clause to your authorization form going forward.

We are a bank also, and if we saw suspicious activity on an employee's account we would be focusing more on how the account was being used than what their credit report said. They may not have any credit problems that are showing up yet, or the suspicious activity may be linked to something that would never show up on a credit report (I'm thinking of things having to do with drugs, money laundering, check kiting, or other illegal activities).
  • Our current authorization also has that same language in it but this employee has been here 11 years and our old form did not :( - they are looking into all of the other that you suggested but just requested that we run a credit report in addition. Thanks for the information!
  • [quote=mhaney;725657]Our current authorization also has that same language in it but this employee has been here 11 years and our old form did not :( - they are looking into all of the other that you suggested but just requested that we run a credit report in addition. Thanks for the information![/quote]

Well darn it, doesn't that just figure that this person was hired while the old form was still in use! :p I'm glad the company we use for our background checks has always included that language in the forms they use. Like I said, we haven't had to pull one up often on a longer-term employee but it's good to know we can if we have to.

I have a question for you, as a bank do you do your new hire credit reports in-house, or do you have a third party do them?