Workers Compensation

I have an employee that is out on Workers Compensation. I have made many attempts to have this employee communicate with me regarding his return to work status. He refuses to return my calls and make scheduled appointments. Can I terminate his employment? If so, under what grounds?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • In cases like this, I always take the safest route to termination, which is a certified letter requiring a response by a specific and reasonable date and promising termination if that response deadline is not met. Nothing short of that allows me to sleep at night.
  • We also utilize an outside loss management services company. It's a self-employed registered nurse who has put together a group that offers a variety of services. We use them for medical surveillance, flu and Hep B shots and some training. They have a team that is particularly good at WC case management. Much less costly than an attorney and more effective.

I don't use them as much as my predecessor as I've brought a lot of the training inhouse, but I find them a valuable resource to have. Don't know if such services are available in your area.
  • I would proceed cautiously. First, I assume you have information on his status from your workers' compensation carrier. Are they telling you that he has been released to return to work? Second, I also assume that the employee is eligible for FMLA. What did the FMLA certification say? And, what is your normal practice/policy for employees on FMLA and/or workers' compensation? How often do they have to check in with you?

If you have covered your bases on all other issues, I agree with Frank. Send a certified letter asking the employee to contact you be a certain date. If he fails to do so, follow your regular procedures for terminating an employee on leave who doesn't keep in contact with you.