HR IQ - huh?

Question 5: Woody is a security guard at Waste Away who earns $10.00 an hour. He works two 12-hour shifts and two eight-hour shifts each week. Waste Away has had trouble with frequent absences and tardiness among its security team members. Three months ago Management announced that all security officers who report for duty on time and work all shifts as assigned in a given week will receive a $100 bonus for that week.

Woody was on time and worked every shift assigned this week, earning his $100 bonus. In fact, during his last shift of the week, Woody caught and detained a group of teenagers who had scaled a fence and were tipping cows in one of Waste Away's back pastures. Management rewarded Woody for catching the trespassers with an additional $100 bonus. What is Woody's regular rate of pay for the week? How much overtime and total compensation is he owed?

1. Regular rate = $10
Overtime rate = $15
Overtime owed = $120 (eight hours x overtime rate of $15 per hour)
Total compensation = $620 ($500 hourly pay and bonus plus $120 overtime)
2. Regular rate = $12.08
Overtime rate = $18.12
Overtime owed = $144.96 (eight hours x overtime rate of $18.12 per hour)
Total compensation = $628.16 ($483.20 hourly pay plus $144.96 overtime)
3. Regular rate = $12.50
Overtime rate = $18.75
Overtime owed = $150
Total compensation = $650 ($500 hourly pay plus $150 overtime)

How can any of these answers be correct? Two 12-hour shirts (24 hours) and two 8-hour shifts (16 hours) comes to 40 hours. There is no overtime.

????

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • "Thanks for pointing out the problem. You are correct that a key fact was
    left out of the scenario. We will get revise the question soon. Here is how the
    corrected question will read:

Woody is a security guard at Waste Away who earns $10.00 an hour. He works
    two 12-hour shifts and two eight-hour shifts each week. Waste Away has had
    trouble with frequent absences and tardiness among its security team
    members. Three months ago Management announced that all security officers
    who report for duty on time and work all shifts as assigned in a given week
    will receive a $100 bonus for that week.

Woody was on time and worked all four shifts assigned this week, earning his
    $100 bonus. He also filled in an extra four hours on each of the two days he
    would normally have worked an eight-hour shift, for a total of eight hours
    overtime. In addition, during his last shift of the week, he caught and
    detained a group of teenagers who had scaled a fence and were tipping cows
    in one of Waste Away's back pastures. Management rewarded Woody for catching
    the trespassers with an additional $100 bonus."

• Thank you! I thought I might be losing my mind. Nice to know it wasn't me. ;)
  • I knew you were a smart woman, Nae!

I lost interest partway through the second paragraph and just scrolled down to the bottom to see what you thought the answer was. Saved myself time AND eyestrain.