Update on redesign

The Forum seems to be running more smoothly than before. Brian Holaway, our website glitch-fixer, has been fighting the Forum Software Gremlins, and he has them on the run. Here's a rundown of some of the big issues:

- The blue bar overlapping the text: We think it's fixed (except for Netscape users).

- The page where you write a message looked funny: Brian cleaned it up a lot and fixed the fonts.

- The pages take too long to load: Brian changed a couple of Forum settings that should help:
[ul]- When you click on a conference (e.g., HR & Employment Law Questions), you'll now see a list of 25 threads. It used to be 100, which was slower. To see the next 25, click on the list of pages "1 | 2 | 3 | 4 ...."

- Messages will now switch to the "View All" mode when they get 10 responses (it used to be 30). This will speed things up a little when a message has 20 replies and you only want to see the last few. (If you want to see all the replies at once, you can click on "View All," same as before.)
[/ul]- When reading replies one at a time, it would be nice to have a "Next reply" button: Yes, it would be good, but unfortunately the Forum software doesn't allow it. Instead, you could click on "View All." Or drag the link to another window.

- Netscape users: Just yesterday, we learned about some big problems encountered by people who use Netscape instead of Internet Explorer. Brian is working on a fix if you use a newer version of Netscape. Unfortunately, older versions of Netscape can't handle it, so you'll need to get the new version, which is free (and it promises to block pop-up ads). There's more info on our Redesign FAQ page:
[url]http://www.HRhero.com/news/redesign.shtml[/url]

- Internet Explorer users: If you haven't upgraded in a while, it might help:
[url]http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/default.asp[/url]

Brian will keep working on the Forum to make it work better. If you use the Forum at the same time he's changing it, some weird stuff might happen. Please try again a little later.

Please let me know about any problems or glitches that occur more than a couple times or lasts more than an hour. Send it to me at [email]WebEditor@HRhero.com[/email] and write [i]Forum glitch[/i] in the subject line so I know it's not spam.

In order to track down the problem, we'll need to know exactly what it is. So please tell me:
[ul]1. What it looked like.

2. When it happened.

3. The web address of the page(s) where the problem occurred, (e.g., [url]http://www.hrhero.com/employersforum/DCForumID14/4033.html[/url] ).

4. If you're using Netscape or any other web browser than Internet Explorer.

5. If your computer has any unusual settings, like extra-large text.
[/ul]I want to apologize again for the disruption that our redesign caused to the Forum. The Forum software has always been quirky, but we never expected problems of this magnitude. We like the Forum as much as you do, and we'll keep trying our best to make it a great place to be.

James Sokolowski
HRhero.com

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Thanks for keeping us up to speed.
  • You're doing an admirable job of redeeming yourself James. I had to look back though; I didn't see anything about that frizzy headed woman who is becoming more haunting as days go by. Someone suggested if we don't like her, don't look. But it's impossible not to look at her when she flashes in your face every couple of prompts. Who's cousin is she anyway?
  • I don't know Don D...

I think we would miss her at this point. My only suggestion is that they "seasonalize" her. A Pilgrims hat would be appropriate now, then a red nose or set of antlers for christmas, etc.

For halloween, just make the eyes glow red and have her head spin every once in awhile.

Paul in CB
  • Now, was that difficult? Thanks mucho!
  • Awesome, James! Thank you for this post! x:-)
  • Paul, one of my sisters gave our mom a stuffed duck for Christmas last year with all these little seasonal outfits. We howeled when she opened it. So I go to her house last Saturday and there the thing is sitting on her mantle dressed like a pilgrim. It's scary stuff!
  • James: I'm seeing some real good constructive suggestions popping up on different threads. I have a couple that are relatively unimportant, in the grand scheme, but nevertheless:

1) the refresh mechanism seems unresponsive now. I used to be able to click on refresh and suddenly it would throw up a couple more responses that had come up to a thread. Now, it seems only to refresh when you back entirely out. I know that 'refresh' in general is a function of my computer; but, it's ironic that the refresh function quit working when the redesign started.

2) The drop down where you can review all the subject areas and click on one that then occupies the blue bar. That used to be a signal to the system to go to that subject area. Not any more. Now you have to go through that and then click on a 'go' button to get there. Before, it was automatic that you'd be moved to that area.

3) I think you are already trying to figure this one out. I'll get an email message that there are two new posts to a thread I'm interested in and it'll be maybe two hours later before they are actually posted to the thread.

Hope you don't mind the additional thoughts. See, I didn't mention the Forum Babe.

• Don, thanks for the heads-up. We'll add these to the list.

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • you may know; but the dropdown conference menu doesn't work now. You now have to return to lobby to change conferences.

• Hi Jim,

Thank you for your help today. I couldn't upgrade because I then couldn't access calendar and I have to be able to do that. I know weird, but we have all kinds of computer and technical issues through out the chain. Anyway, I did get onto Explorer, thanks to my niece who also works here in the IT department. So, as you see, I will be able to read posts and post again. Thank you for helping me.

Elizabeth