Out Of Pocket

Someone asked me this morning what I meant when I said, "I'll be out of pocket for awhile". Do any of you actually not know what that means? On the other hand, where do you reckon that saying came from?

Comments

• 32 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • "Off the payroll" for awhile sounds like it would fits.
  • I gotcha DonD. Lets see how many that are not from the good ole Southern US of A get it.

Did you know that today is a historical day for your great state? The year was 1817, don't know the place, but the event was joining the US as a state. Congratulations on 187 years of statehood.
  • Yes, Pork called to tell me that he was there at the ceremony. x:-)
  • At first I thought it meant the person was broke; out of money. I asked around the office and no one hear ever heard of it, not even the cops. Someone said it must be a billiards term. I suppose (I mean recon) that it must be one of those Southern terms.
  • In the north, it means 'out of contact', 'out of the usual place of business', something like that.
    But, for you, Don, I, too, thought it had something to do with some form of playing pool.
  • Hunter, after your post I had a private email from one of our blonde forum friends telling me something about pocket pool. But I had no idea what she was talking about. Do you?
  • I've heard of "deep pockets" and "in someone's back pocket" but not "out of pocket."
  • I know what it means, but -- like a lot of idioms -- I don't know the origin of the phrase. I had no idea it was a southern expression, but come to think of it, perhaps I should have known since the Sweet Potato Queens (your homegirls, Don) hold forth at length on the advantages of being out of pocket.

Anyway, in any usage I've ever heard, it basically means unavailable. It's especially useful because it requires no detailed explanation as to where you'll be and why you'll be there. I'm out of pocket means, "I'm outta here and don't be a-lookin' for me."
  • I though that's what "I'll be out of touch" was used for, not out of pocket.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 12-10-04 AT 09:44AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Maybe it's a derivative of 'out of range' meaning a geographical area. But that wouldn't relate to girls who say they're 'out of pocket' unless they meant they were going on vacation. Maybe it's a 'down under' term meaning to escape or to establish freedom.
  • "You can reach me by cell phone this afternoon. I will be out of pocket."

"Our health plan needs to have a national network for the out-of-pocket sales reps in Ohio and Washington"

As to the origin, I have no idea. I will take a creative and humorous stab in the dark and say that it originated in the south when your buddy asked you if he'd "see you tonight at the watering hole" and you replied "no, I'll be out of pocket tonight at a church function". Meaning that your drinking that night would be out of a flask hidden in your pocket.

OK, I guess I better keep my day job and leave the comedy to others.

Gene
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 12-10-04 AT 11:05AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Keep your day job if you must, but I like the notion that the phrase originated with nipping from a pocket flask. x:-)
  • PRETTY FAR FETCHED IF YOU ASK ME BUT I FOUND THIS ON A SEARCH. THERE ARE SOME NEAT PAGES ON PHRASE ORIGINS OUT THERE.

Subject: Out of Pocket, Redux

Dear Brother Grady,

For no apparent reason, my brain suddenly surfaced. Amidst the general shock, I remembered the origin of the term, "out of pocket," to refer to a person who is vacationing or otherwise incommunicado. Earlier, someone on the Philalethes Society list used to term when explaining an absence from the list, and another list member asked for a definition of the term.

I was there, more or less, when the term was coined. Here is what happened:

First, we begin with corporate and military travellers, who must use a term for a type of travel expenses. The idea of travel is important and appears later as a source of confusion. "Out of pocket" originally referred only to "out-of-pocket expenses." As all will remember, these are expenses that are paid with cash or personal credit, rather than charged to an employer's account, and with hopes of reimbursment by an employer. Example: "These are my actual, out-of-pocket expenses as opposed to my per diem and travel allowance."

Next, the term "out of the loop" came into general corporate and military use in the late 1960s and early 1970s to refer to a person who is uninformed either purposefully or accidentally. Example: "Let's keep him out of the loop on this plan so that he won't be able to tell his boss about our new project." And "Why the h--- was I left out of the loop on this?!!!!" "In the loop" meant being included in planning an activity; and "out of the loop" meant the opposite.

"Out of the loop" began to be used to mean anyone who is uninformed and often by a person about himself to explain ignorance. Example: "I have been out of the loop for the past two weeks because I have been on vacation." From here, "out of the loop" began to mean out of town or on vacation.

Here is where things get tricky. Anyone who has been in the government or military knows that leaders at all levels tend to misspeak themselves, often with disasterous results. But also these mistakes can be merely ignorant or foolish. Also, when the mistake is made by someone in high office, it tends to be perpetuated. Example: President Warren G. Harding, with his usual willful ignorance, referred to the post-WWI US as returning to "normalcy" rather than normality.

About 1975, the term "out-of-pocket" began to be used to mean "out of the loop" by ignorant US Army officers who wanted to appear that they understood and used the corporate jargon term, "out of the loop." They latched onto this term so as not to embarrass their superiors who had also misused the term and the misuse spread like

• It's a very good point that being incommunicado is an important feature of being out of pocket. If you can be reached by cell phone or any other telecommunications device, you are not truly out of pocket.
  • Naah. I used that term way before 1975.

Brad Forrister
    VP/Content
    M. Lee Smith Publishers

• Well, several of you got it right. I'm surprised it's a Mason-Dixon thang.

And, yes, I know what pocket pool is but would never talk about it in polite company, unlike some posters who love pushing envelopes, straddling fences and toeing lines.

And Sam may know nothing about a ball being IN the pocket in the first place since she has never learned the fine art of proper shootin', probably. x:-)

We've all been out of line, out of the loop, out of pocket and out of time. A few of us are commonly out to lunch.
  • So, who are you saying got it right?
  • Outta your mind works for me x:D
  • Oh yeah? Why don't you come up here and show me, tuff guy! We got official 9' regulation slate tables right here in down town Elkton!! But remember what happened to Paul Newman in "The Hustler."
  • That's odd. A regulation table is 8'7" long. Where do you buy those 'seconds'? And, how do little people reach cue balls in the center of the table?

I really don't know how long the table is. I just know I can run it.
  • "Little people?"!! 5' 3/12" !! I can manage. I've run a few tables myself. We had two tables at home in my high school years. My sister and I cleaned the clock of a few of the high school hot shots. It's not gonna' be a easy as you think, if you beat me at all!
  • They had slate tables back then?
  • OK Nat'l Guard: None of the yanks got close, except Hunter before he made a snide remark about pocket pool. We'll let his answer count. Also the correct responders were Popeye (who obviously knew), Whirlwind from Texas, TN HR from TN, Sonny from Florida via Grady and B. Forrister who claims to be in TN.

I'll be outa pocket typically means "I'll be out for awhile, don't bother asking where, leave me alone, you don't need to know where I'm going and, no, you can't tell anybody where I am 'cause I'm not telling even you."

An example might be two people skipping out of a seminar, heading up to room 206, whispering to the girl at the registration table, "We'll be out of pocket for awhile." x:-)
  • If you were looking for room 206 at The Opryland Hotel, you'd be out of pocket for a long while. It would take you 20 minutes just to walk from the check-in desk to room 206, that is if you could find it.
  • It didn't take my ex-wife that long to find 206 at the Opryland. Unfortunately, I was there with my current wife before the ex was an ex and the current became current :)

Gene

Disclaimer: The preceding was a joke. I have never been involved in any extramarital hijinks.
  • Is the beautiful lady I met the current or the EX??????
  • She is the current, however, I will reiterate the fact that neither the Opryland nor the current (or any other woman) had anything to do with the fact that the ex is an ex.

I will quote the infamous words of you-know-who "I did not have sexual relations with that woman".
  • Well hell. No wonder she left you then.