Enemy Combatants and Patriot Act?

These are 2 issues in the presidential campagne that although I have a brief understanding of what they are I do not feel I have a good understanding. Does anyone know where I can get some UNbiased info on them? I did a google search and yes there is tons of info on the web but I don't want to read biased information nor do I have the desire to read the entire Patriot Act. Thank you for your help.

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I've not heard of that. If you find anything, do you mind sharing?
  • I think there is something in the Patriot Act differentiating between what are called 'enemy combatants' and 'prisoners of war'. Something about the way they are allowed to be detained and treated and held without counsel. I may be wrong, but I think I've heard something along those lines. Maybe even something about 'enemy combatants' not being distinguished as those fighting for a particular country. i.e. 'terrorists' as opposed to someone in the Iraqi Army. I've muddled the water. Sorry.
  • On this issues thing I printed out from CNN under Homeland Security is says:

Enemy Combatants - Kerry against labeling U.S. citizens "enemy combatants" and Bush supports labeling of U.S. citizens as "enemy combatants"

What are they talking about?
  • Did you read my post? I don't know that either of them are against or for labeling US citizens as enemy combatants. I thought we were going to avoid the hype of posting biased information.

It's my understanding that the Patriot Act does allow a US citizen to be 'considered' an enemy combatant, thus removing from that person some of the protections normally afforded him by the US constitution.

In other words, Kerry, who voted for The Patriot Act now does not favor it, if what you posted is true. Being against it now will get him Hispanic and minority votes. Not to sound biased, but I'm not surprised by that.
  • Thanks Don, I wasn't intending to be biased I just didn't understand what this enemy combatants thing was about so I didn't know if I was for or against it. I still don't know.
  • "It's my understanding that the Patriot Act does allow a US citizen to be 'considered' an enemy combatant, thus removing from that person some of the protections normally afforded him by the US constitution."

So does that mean people like John Walker Lindh are not afforded protection by the Constitution? Would he, even though an American citizen, be considered an enemy combatant? Maybe you don't know the answer, I guess I'm just looking for an example because I do not completely understand.

• Actually, the term "enemy combatant" isn't identified anywhere in the Patriot Act. The best definition can be found at:

[url]http://www.cfr.org/publication.php[/url]

It's essentially a military term.

The short answer to your question is that YES a US citizen can be considered an enemy combatant. Such a person can be held without access to legal counsel; however, they may challange their detention through the US courts.

As far as support for the Patriot Act goes...what many policiticans, including Kerry, have said is that fundamentally, the Act is important and necessary. However, some clauses of the Act have become over-reaching and provided a method for the US Government to infringe on the basic rights of US Citizens. They seem to want to get back to the original intent of the Act, which was to help halt terrorism through monitoring of financial assets.

I hope this helped!