I survived the blackout

I'm in. I usually travel by subway, still no subway. A worker in the factory who lives near me just showed up at my door to give me a ride to work. Last night was a blast. New Yorkers are the best. There was no electricity, but the apartment below me throw a bring your own bottle party. Later, first the time since I was child, I read in bed by flashlight (only this time, I didn't have to hide under the blankets so my parents wouldn't know). In spite of the inconvenience, had a blast.

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I was wondering how you were coping. Watched the news last night and the scenes in NYC were amazing. Much of our area was hit, too. I was in Target getting my wife a Birthday card waiting at the checkout when everything went dead. They had generator backup for a few lights and some of the registers. We had to send 2nd shift home at 6 PM with no power at work. But, I was fortunate, never lost power at my house.
  • The NYC location closed at with the blackout. The NJ location finally closed at 7 because power was sporadic. But locations have power now and are open. I am amazed at the number of employees who showed up despite the fact they still have no power at home. A lot of employees are out today, but I've decided not to give them points.
  • My power went out for about 20 minutes, however there were parts of Albany that were out for hours last night. This was so crazy. We had back up generators but all non-essential staff were sent home. Good luck to all.
  • Kudos to everyone who 'survived'. I wonder if there will be a mini 'baby boom' nine months from now!

• Our power was out for about 4 hours here. We are about 45 minutes south of Albany. We were in a minor state of panic with our food. About 2/3 of our inventory is either cold or frozen. We have a generator, but it only runs a portion of the compressors. Our night crew starts at 7:00 pm. When they started we still didn't have power, but they started picking orders anyway with flashlights. We made it though. Thanks to our great staff our trucks went out on time this morning without a glitch. Then we discovered that some of the orders that were in the system about 4:00 pm were lost. So our drivers are going out a second time when they get back from their usual runs. Again, I applaud our employees. I'm in the process of writing a thank you memo and we are thinking of something we can do for these guys. Any suggestions????

Thank god it's Friday!!!!
  • I'm in Cleveland. Our power returned at 4:00 a.m. so I figured everyone else had power too. Went to work bright and early and lo and behold, our building was the only building in the area with no power. Everything else around us was all lit up. Everyone was sent home when they showed up for work. I got word that that power came back on in the building around 10:00 a.m. The whole ordeal was a little scary but fun. What a wakeup call being without power and no idea for how long!
  • We had another blackout this morning for about a 1/2 hour. My office is pitch black when the lights go out. Several years ago we had a blackout and another director was in my office with the door shut. When the lights went out, the first thing she said was "don't touch me". I had no intention of doing that.
  • >We had another blackout this morning for about a 1/2 hour. My office
    >is pitch black when the lights go out. Several years ago we had a
    >blackout and another director was in my office with the door shut.
    >When the lights went out, the first thing she said was "don't touch
    >me". I had no intention of doing that.

That's funny! Just curious, is this a rare occurrence? I live in a suburb of Seattle and we lose power fairly frequently as we usually have big wind storms in the fall and winter. At work we always have power, (too bad), because we have a generator; we are a medical facility, but at home I think it's fun to lose power, as long as it doesn't last too long. Some people lose their power for days at a time. That would be miserable.
  • I work out in the boonies, so we tend to have more blackouts and brownouts than in town. Seems like about once or twice per year. No generators, so it gets pitch black where there are not emergency lights. Funny thing is most of the time it is because a squirrel got electocuted causing a short.
  • No Detroiters on this board? Most of Southeast Michigan was without power as well. Went out right before rush hour on Thursday. Most didn't get it back till late Friday, early Saturday.

It wasn't terrible except for all the crazies that went buying everything out of the grocery store leaving nothing for anyone else.

We still can't drink our water, but there were people buying a years worth instead of just to get them buy for a few days.

We were well stocked, but I was throwing my mom a surprise 50th b-day party on Saturday. Try finding fixings for a bbq when all the stores lost all their meat! The party ended up turning out good, but what chaos trying to find food early Saturday morning.

City really came together. I only heard of one burglary out of the ordeal.
    Michiganders are tough too!
  • Listening to the news this morning they were talking about the billions of dollars lost in the blackout. But, then added places like Lowe's and Home Depot make out quite well with the sale of generators, flash lights, and other important stuff.
  • Yes, the radio this morning said something like a billion dollars in New York alone from lost business, merchandise (at restaurants), etc.

That's definitely a lot of money...
  • As the old expression goes "A billion here, a billion there, pretty son you're talking about real money." x;-)