Business Casual Definition?

We want to promote a dress code through the company. There are very few occasions to wear traditional business clothes, other than meetings with some of our clients.

Professional staff usually have no problem wearing business casual, outside of the errant few - but the tech folks can take business casual to a new low. There seem to be several schools of thought on what business casual actually is anyway. We are engineers, architects, surveyors, designers, etc.

Question: If your company's dress code is "Business Casual" how do you specifically define your expectations? Would you send me a copy of your dress code policy? E-mail me at [email]jwwolery@vaughnmelton.com[/email] - thanks.

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We do not have a policy and have not had one for years, but as of yesterday, we have posted new guidelines. We are a southwestern utility, and things do have a tendency to get very casual so we decided to reign in a bit. Certain jobs require uniforms (which include jeans, shorts and shirts with logos, addressed in collective bargaining agreements). Other than asking employees to dress in a presentable fashion for business, clients and co-workers, we added that any tatoos that display nudity or profanity must be covered during work hours. Novelty t-shirts with nudity, profanity or inappropriate messages are also now out. Also shorts, pants, skirts, etc. that expose the "hip bones or underwear," and no crop tops, halters or backless wear. Jeans are allowed whenever, if they are presentable.
  • Don't have one now,but this is my former companies.... (we even terminated an employee for dress attair and they filed a law suit and we won.) This was a company that had clients walking through much of the time. So, appearance was an issue. It had gotten out of hand and people were coming in wearing shorts, flip flops and t shirst with all types of writing on them.

Office Dress
    Non-uniformed Employees
    Non uniformed employees should dress with "good business taste" and in clothing appropriate for the jobs they perform and the audience we serve. "Business casual" attire is applicable Monday through Thursday. This includes slacks, dresses, suits, blouses, men's collared shirts, sweaters, vests, blazers, sport coats, and or other generally business like attire. Good business taste does not inlcude jeans (except on Friday), tank tops, T shirts with advertising, sweatshirts, warm up suits, athletic sportswear, sundresses, shorts or skorts made of denim or all cotton material, athletic shoes, casual sandals, men's shoes without socks, or other generally recognized casual/weekend attire. Shorts and/or skorts of fine fabric (rayon, linen, silk, etc) may be worn if done so with hosiery and dress shoes.
    Casual Friday attire is permissible only on Fridays and includes appropriate jeans, casual sportswear and footwear as well as any "business casusal" clothing. Casual Friday attire does not include faded, torn, cut-off or otherwise worn out and /or tight fitting jeans and/or t shirts.

Uniformed Employees
    All employees for whom a uniform has been issued must wear the approrpiate uniform. They must be neat, clean, and pressed at all times. The Company's uniform is blue or burgany issued T Shirts or collared shirts (neatly tucked into the pants) beige khaki work pants, black steel toed shoes, black belt and blue/burgandy or gray outerwear.
    All Employees:
    A buesiness like appearance is a requirement for all employees. Company issued sportswear which includes T shirts and collard shirs and outerwear beearing the company loga may be worn at the employee's discretion if done so within the standards of the dress policy. An employee's immediate supervisor and/or manager may request a more formal office attire. immediate supervisors and managers reserve the right to send an employee hoem if he/she doesn't meet these standards.

E Wart
  • I just emailed a copy of ours to you.

We have general guidelines, restrictions for females, and restrictions for males. Blue jeans, sweatshirts, tank tops, shorts, tennis shoes, and athletic wear are not allowed under the general guidelines. Spandex, skirts greater than 2" above the knee, dresses or skirts without nylons, tight-fitting garments, low cut top garments, are not allowed for females. And, "A" shirts, sandals, shoes without socks, and earrings are not allowed for males.

Our policy is also worded to include other clothing or fashion deemed inappropriate as business attire. There is a statement that ee must be conscious of the impossibility of covering in a written policy ever conceivable question on dress and grooming.

It also contains language about the impression that ee makes on citizens, developers, merchants... influences their image of our business and the services we provide.
  • This is much more explicite than our policy. We basicly say no jeans except on Friday. No sneakers or printed t-shirts with logos other then our company's any time. No cropped tops, face piercings, leggings, or exposed middrifts or backs on either gender. We also include a "or other clothing or fashion not deemed appropriate for business attire" statement too.

I'll e-mail you the policy as it is written.

Cheryl C.
  • Cheryl C.

Can you please send me a copy of your policy as well to [email]snewman@lighthousecredit.org[/email]

Thank you!!!
  • Could I have a copy too!! Thank You!!
    [email]kschulenberg@nekcap.org[/email]