Borrowing Vacation

Does anyone have a policy on Borrowing vacation? We just found out that the company is closing for the entire week of Thanksgiving and two weeks for December holidays. The owner doesn't want all employees to start borrowing weeks of vacation in order to be paid during these times. (it is a small struggling company) We have let employees borrow in the past, but have no policy..I am supposed to write a policy ASAP to distribute.
Can anyone help???

Thanks,
Kimberly

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • After a couple of employees took advantage of the "borrowing" we no longer allow it. Salaried employees may take off after their vacation (PTO) is used up but it is without pay.
  • Like you, I am working to reverse a "practice" of allowing employee's to "borrow" vacation before it is acutally earned. While we do not have a formal policy on this, we have modified our practice to not allow anyone to borrow vacation unless a) they have two or more years service, b) their supervisor indicates they are performing satisfactorily, and c) they are within 30 days of their next anniversary date (we grant vacation on the anniversary date.)

Even this is not fool proof, and we have one or two situations where employee's have inadvertently gotten ahead of us. I had to tell one gentleman yesterday, that he only has 10 hours of vacation time left to carry him until his next anniversary, in Oct 2004!

Our next step would be to adopt a formal policy stating that vacation time can not be use in advance. If I do this, I will probably include a exception for "extraordinary circumstances" such as FMLA situation. But I need to think that through, as it seems it would leave us open to problems still.
  • We do something a little different here since we allow employees to carry forward unused vacation and sick time. We have a shared leave program where employees can donate their unused time to other employees who are in need. It usually is used in conjunction with FML time or maternity leave, but could be used in this type of a situation as well.
  • Hi Kimberly: I wish I had seen your question sooner. I need to pay more attention in the future. Our company does allow employees to borrow vacation time but no more than on pay-check's worth. We have a form that must be signed in advance of the time off. I will send you a copy of it if you're interested.

Learning and loving every day...
    Cheryl C.