Sharing Resumes

Does anyone know the legal ramificaitons of passing resumes on to other employers if you get a candidate that would be good for another emoloyer?

Do you just need the applicants signed release?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • For good candidates who were not selected, my practice has been, when calling to give the bad news, to ask the applicant if he/she would mind if I referred their resume to a peer in another specific company. It does take some of the bite away from the rejection and might even make points with the other company. I would not forward it without their permission since many candidates consider their job search confidential
  • don,good idea...in fact,that's how i got my first job as a lawyer...do you mention anything in the cover letter to the prospective employer---a la do your own diligence etc...i mention this only because if the guy turns out to be a dud---or worse,a nut ---then some lawyer who sees your letter in the file decides to sue you too,say if the guy does harm to fellow employees or the like...regards from texas,mike maslanka
  • No, to the letter. I only referred to well known (to me) peers and then only by telephone. The gist of the conversation was that: "while recruiting for XXXXX, I had a candidate(s) that looked good to me but who were not selected and I wonder if you might be interested in seeing copies of their resumes?"

Don Avery
  • I was new to this forum - thanks for the useful information.