Part-time employee vacation policy

Does anyone have a vacation policy for part-time employees that I can use as a guide to creating one for our company? We are in the process of deciding if we want to go forward with this idea.

Thanks

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • The one that I would recommend is easy to administer, easy to track in the existing time keeping system and does not require rewriting major sections of you benefit plans. Allow PT employees to accrue half the usual amount of vacation time that is permitted to FT employees. For example, if your FT employees accrue 4 hours per month, PT employees accrue 2 hours per month. I would limit this benefit to employees working 16 to 39 hours per week. Treat the PT just like FT with regard to service. If after 5 years of service, the FT accrual goes up to 8 hours per month, the PT with that much service goes to 4 hours per month. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to call me at 615-371-8200.

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
  • We prorate PTO and holidays for all regular part-time employees based on their average hours per week using a sliding scale of one to five day equivalent. This system recognizes everyone on an individual basis rather than giving all PT's the same benefits regardless of their work schedule. They do not qualify for all benefits offered to full-time employees, yet they are recognized for the value they bring to the organization.

• Our leave policy for part-time employees is similar to Margaret's suggestion. Full-time employees earn 4 hours of vacation leave for every 80 hours worked. (We are on a biweekly pay cycle) Part-time employees earn a portion of that based on the number of hours they work. For instance, if a part-timer works a total of 40 hours in a two-week period, their vacation earnings would be 2 hours. We use ADP to process payroll and the system automatically calculates the number of vacation hours earned from the total hours worked. So, all we have to do is put in the number of hour worked and the system does the calculation for us.