supervisor handbook

I am looking for help on developing a handbook or guide for supervisors. We have an excellent employee handbook, but I keep reading about the need to have a separate handbook for supervisors that gives indepth info not provided to/perhaps not need by regular staffers.

Will appreciate any help. Thanks

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Your handbook should be general in scope without a great deal of detail. Mainly because you do not want to have to reprint it every time you change one of your policies. For example, it should list in general what your medical benefits are, but not the specific company that you offer them through so that you can change carriers whenever you wish and yet your handbook remains up-to-date. The supervisor's manual is more of a step-by-step procedure manual. It is much more detailed and not something that is handed out to employees.

That's a pretty general explanation. I'd be glad to discuss with you the specifics of what most companies put in a handbook vs. policy manual. If I can help you, please do not hesitate to call me at 615-371-8200

• One thing you might want to do for a supervisors guide is to have a question and answer section. This section could cover common workplace situations and give guidance to supervisors (for example: a female employee comes to you with a complaint that a male employee is bothering her. What do you do?). I find that practical Q and A's can make a policy book much easier to use.

Good Luck!

• I am planning to write such a book this year as well. My game plan is to start with a list of all HR topics a supervisor needs to be involved in, such as compensation, employee relations, professional development, progressive discipline, and so forth. Then I plan to develop a more detailed list within each broad category. So, for instance the "compensation" category will include time sheet preparation & review, salary administration procedures, merit increases for new hires, bonus programs and procedures, etc. If anyone can provide additional advice I'd appreciate it!

• That sounds like a lot of work and will be very helpful to management. A supervisor's handbook has been on my "to do" list for a few years. I hope you will share it through the forum when completed.

• BE CAREFUL!

You can create duties / obligations you might not already have through your handbook - definitely have your employment counsel take a look at it!

• I, too, am starting from scratch in preparing a Policy and Procedures manual for supervisors/managers. Would love to be included in any information that is exchanged (and hasn't already been posted to this forum.) Thanks!
  • Having had experience in developing such a Handbood (Guide) let me offer some suggestions.

1) Do not try to cover all the bases. You will miss something, and in the attempt create liabilities and problems. Gather some statistics on the most commonly asked questions you respond to and provide guidance on those issues first.
    2) Use your Employee Handbook as a starting place. We did, and expanded on the information there to include such resouces as "who to call", "where to look" and such.
    3) If you do not have a policy/procedure manual, do not attempt to make this a substitute for it. You should document your basic policy positions, and procedures for implementing them. Your supervisor's guide should provide "executive summaries" of these policies/procedure, and some background on such things as what is Equal Employment Opportunity, Affirmative Action, and the Wage & Hour laws on overtime pay, just to name a few.
    4) Don't try to make your supervisor's "experts" or self sufficient. Give them enough information to perform their dailiy duties, and refer them to the "experts" when issues arise beyond that level.
  • I have also looked to my wish list and decided we need a super/manag. handbook. I would love any additional info. that hasn't already been posted on this forum.
  • mrsbowden,
    Since this stream of content was started back in 2001, we've begun writing a monthly product just for supervisors. It's called HR Frontline, and you can find a link to it in the blue box to the left of this screen, or go to [url]www.hrhero.com/frontline.shtml[/url]. HR Frontline is short and to the point, each month focusing on a different issue from the supervisor's perspective. It's also reasonably priced so you can provide each of your supervisors with his or her very own copy. We think it's a nice, easy way for them to receive some ongoing training and guidance from HR. Hope this helps. tk

Tony Kessler, director of editorial
    M. Lee Smith Publishers, LLC
    (615) 661-0249 ext. 8068
  • THANK YOU! I will look into that. It was nice to see you read the posts and reply to those of us in need. Thanks again xclap