On-Line Paycheck Stubs

Currently we process payroll on a bi-weekly basis, and a majority of our employees have their paychecks directly deposited. However, at this time, we still send out paper pay stubs (they say "This is not a check" on them) to all of those employees that have direct deposit. Our payroll vendor does offer the option to have employees access their paycheck on-line, where they can print off their paycheck stub, if they wish. All of our employees do have access to a computer and printer. The cost of the on-line paystubs is actually less than what we spend on postage. In addition, employees can access their paychecks and W-2s at any time, even if they need them a year or two after the fact (instead of contacting us to print them off). Not only does it save the company money, it saves our Payroll Administrator from having to sort the paystubs and mail them every two weeks. It also save her time from having to print additional W-s or paystubs for those that lose them.

Do any of you only have on-line paycheck stubs? How did the transition from paper to on-line go?

Just curious if anyone has any feedback! Thanks!

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Not an answer, just another curious HR dept. We too are considerning going to on line pay stubs vs. handing out the hard copy. We are 100% payroll direct deposit.
  • You will want to check your state's wage and hour laws. In my state, electronic pay stubs can only be used if the employee agrees.
  • Our company uses them, and I agree you need to check with your state's laws. The biggest problem we had was several of the employees refused to input their SSN as part of the registration process, saying there was a security danger in doing so. Of course, one of these employees in particular loves to be contrary to all our policies and particularly enjoys recruiting others to do the same.

The payroll service issued a statement to these employees explaining all the security measures they had in place, and that inputting their true SSN was part of the security process, but these employees still refused to input their SSNs. I also explained that I already was transmitting their SSNs online when I processed payroll.

So WE refused to issue them a paper paystub since we were not legally obligated to do so. Eventually these employees registered since this was the only way they could view their paystubs. The vast majority of our employees love it and since I process payroll, I love it. And so do all the trees we save in the process!
  • We have all on-line check stubs. I'm sure it would be great if all employees had a computer and printer, but that is not the case with us. We are a health care facility and our direct care staff, food service, custodians, etc don't have access to a computer. We have three computer/printers in our office, but some can't or won't learn how to use them and we end up printing them for a large number of employees every two weeks. They have to come in with ID and ask for them, we don't mail them.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-13-07 AT 09:48AM (CST)[/font][br][br]I use to work for a health care facility as well before I entered into my HR profession and this facility just up and implemented the online check stubs one day. I have to agree that it was extremely nice just being able to view your pay stub on your computer, but I could only access this system from the computers at the facility. The system would not grant me access from home. Also I experienced the same thing with employees asking me to print off their pay stubs because they didnt know how to do it.
  • Our payroll service allows you to view your paystub from any computer and in our state, it is also necessary that the employees have access to printers, which in our office every single employee does. I think both these aspects have made the transition relatively painless - if any new HR procedure is every completely painless!
  • We don't have enough employees to warrant this kind of change. However, our parent company does this. They are a hospital and not all employees have access to a terminal. They have therefore set up a few in the HR area. Employees can go in, sign themselves in, and look up anything they need to. They can also sign up for benefits this way. It saves HR staff time, and also reduces input errors during open enrollment.

Nae
  • We have this, but so far it is optional. We encourage employees to use it, b/c it saves us money and time sorting and distributing pay stubs.

One thing that has helped is that we automatically enroll new employees. But there are always going to be a significant number that resist.
  • We have on-line and love it. We set it up so that employees can opt out of the on-line system and still receive hard copies.
  • we also do this. We set up Employee "Kiosks" for those without access to a computer. They login with their employee ID# (not their SS#). They can view and print right at the kiosk if they so choose.
    You will always have a few who still come to you to print out. It's been 5 yrs for us and we still have a handfull of folks to come to HR every pay period.
  • Thanks so much for all of your feedback! In my search for information, I came across this website ([url]www.paperlesspay.org[/url]). It gives regs by each state, contains FAQ, articles, etc. Just thought I'd pass it along for those that are also looking into on-line paycheck stubs!
  • Hello Lisa,

We have just changed to paperless paycheck stubs also. I don't have any information on how the transition will go yet. How about you? I see that you posted this last September. Do you think it is a benefit to the employee as well as the employer to go paperless?

Meagan
  • Meagan,

We actually held off on implementing it, and am planning for it this year. From all of the feedback from everyone, I believe things should go positively (hopefully!). If you have any transition feedback as time passes, feel free to share!

Lisa