Exempt/Non-Exempt, what am I?

My position is Personnel Associate, which currently is non-exempt. My responsibilities include payroll processing for approx. 280 employees on a bi-weekly basis, update all employee records, filing government reports, compile all info for Affirmative Action plan, sending monthly performance appraisals to managers, updating all job descriptions for company, background checks on new hires, calculating annual profit sharing. Have been employed for 26 yrs for a financial institution, 18 years in Personnel and am quite sure the position should be exempt. What do you think?

Comments

• 18 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Non-exempt in my opinion.
  • Agree - the position doesn't seem to involve enough independent decision making and judgement.
  • Agree with all the others - non-exempt. It's a responsible position, but I don't see any latitude for independent thinking and decisions. More administrative-focused than not.
  • Non-exempt. But, I'd be interested in learning why you say you are "quite sure it should be exempt".
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-05-05 AT 02:46PM (CST)[/font][br][br]DDOG: With all of the physical activity that I picture you doing, to do the same thing that my HR assistant does, I have no choice but to advise you that you are most, likely non-exempt and entitled to O/T pay for all hours worked over 40 hours.

I recommend you discuss this with your supervisor because he/she should have been able to tell you straight out the differences and why one employee is termed a manager and "exempt" and another who does all of the physical activities for the organization and is "not exempt" form the rules and procedures of the Fair Labor Standards Act, a federal law.

If this is not what you were looking for in your post, then send us another concerning question and we will most likely tell you more than you want to know, but never the less this is the best place to get an education into the HR world of work!

Your day is already Blessed, you have found the library that is full of knowledge and some real concern for our fellow HR. Welcome to the forum.

PORK
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-15-05 AT 08:32AM (CST)[/font][br][br]ddog,

...agree with all of the other posters -- non-exempt. But I must add that given your list of on-going duties and 18 years of experience, it appears to me that you have all of the right tools in your toolbox to market yourself at the next level. Did you ever think about taking your skills and experience somewhere else?
    Geno
  • I agree with all others, non-exempt, and to add to Geno's question, is there an opportunity for growth with your current organization? Something to think about, if the exempt/non-exempt question is a critical area of concern.

TY
  • On the basis of this information...non exempt.
    But, other questions: Do you supervise anyone? Do you have a college degree in what you do? Are you certified in any aspect of what you do? Who do you report to and are you in total control of the HR function with responsibilities of that function answerable to a managment group?
  • DDOG: With 100% of the posters telling you your position is non-exempt now I for one want to know more. Have you been properly treated over the last 18 years as a non-exempt? Have you been earning O/T? Why would you want to become EXEMPT verses non-exempt and give up your rights to overtime. Is there some just reward in your bank to become classified as EXEMPT. Yours is a world of real devotion and evidently little personal communitications, just the sweet lady in payroll that is blessed by everyone for keeping their stay with the company properly rewarded and our gift to you has been more of the same. By all banking standards there should have been a Vice-President for you along time ago, after all stay there 5 years and you get your first VP title.

Welcome to the forum!

PORK
  • It reads to me like the same thing that my HR assistant does for her keep, and at $12.50 per hour plus overtime. Next year she is completing her 4 year college degree and she asked me the other day if upon graduation would she get to be EXEMPT. The answer is no, no, no not until we split off and she gets the newly created Personnel Managers position and supervises the payroll clerk and/or the personnel records clerk or the receptionist/secretary, who each work at least 40 hours a week.

Classification into the EXEMPT world has all to do with the physical labor expended for a just rewarded income, which includes overtime or no overtime because one is classified as EXEMPT, from the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.

Sorry, if that is not what you wanted to hear! I am interested in knowing, why you would have done all of these wonderful things for a just reward including overtime and now you want to give up overtime and keep doing the same thing for less money! What gives???

PORK
  • Folks I apologize for confused postings, for some reason my instant gradification for a post, simply does not appear. So I accept the mess-up as being my fault and then I attempt to post another, then when I post new message maybe one or non are there.

I am being closely monitored these days, the hair on my ole HOG neck is raised and ready for battle, but I am with out a weapon for battle or negotiation. The GOD like watch dog is protecting all of you young warriors, and you should be glad for it.

However, it does make a mess of thoughts and threads from time to time. At least my post are not monitored for dirty words, just the hard hitting ones.

This one may not make it either! I changed my name back to the 2nd name maybe the over seer will not notice.

PORK1
  • Pork, do you need help? You're rambling.....
  • Sometimes, we all do, especially when the forum and the computer do not function as well because there is a majic button in the system, that allows the police to hold up on any of our post so that the police can read our words and decide to post it or to pigeon hole it until it is ok to post or not to post at all.

It is a price we pay for our own mental protection.

PORK
  • Are you always paranoid in the morning? Why do you think that they just hold on to your posts and nobody elses?
  • ddog, it sounds as if you are very busy and do a lot of different activities and many involve confidential information.... however, I don't see the depth of "decision making" in your activities to be considered exempt.
    For example, you process payroll, but do you make decisions as to how much anyone is paid? You send monthly performance appraisals to managers, but do you actually perform any appraisals your self? You perform background checks on individuals, but do you make a decision on who is hired based on the information you obtain?
    I too have to say you are non-exempt. However, I don't see why everyone is so hung up on the fact that they aren't considered exempt. I would love to be non-exempt and receive overtime for the 5-15 hours a week I work over 40!!
    You sound as if you are a very hard worker and a value to any organization. Keep up the good work!
    E Wart
  • "Yours is a world of real devotion and evidently little personal communitications, just the sweet lady in payroll that is blessed by everyone for keeping their stay with the company properly rewarded and our gift to you has been more of the same. By all banking standards there should have been a Vice-President for you along time ago, after all stay there 5 years and you get your first VP title."

Pork; in the midst of all this rambling and posting before and after yourself, where do you come off with this sexist, presumptive remark? Do you always jump to such conclusions? Not only have you labeled someone you do not know anything about, a 'sweet lady', you have also completed a virtual performance review slotting him or her for a VP position. Damn your good! One, you do not know that she is a she or that she is a lady and two, you have no idea about her ability or qualifications to advance to a certain level in the banking industry.