Holiday Pay When Terminating? Please Help!

I have an employee who stated in her termination letter that her last would be December 29, 2003. However, she's not working that day. Her actual last day worked will be today. Does she receive holiday pay for Thursday and Friday, which she normally would if she was staying?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Whose choice was it that today is her last day?

If she was willing and able to work through the 29th and you took her off the schedule because business is slow, I'd pay her the holiday pay. If she decided to cut her notice short, I wouldn't pay her holiday pay. You might also check your company's policy regarding holiday pay.
  • >Whose choice was it that today is her last day?
    >
    >If she was willing and able to work through the
    >29th and you took her off the schedule because
    >business is slow, I'd pay her the holiday pay.
    >If she decided to cut her notice short, I
    >wouldn't pay her holiday pay. You might also
    >check your company's policy regarding holiday
    >pay.

Just when you think you've written every policy covering anything that could possibly come up, there's something new. Her choice to date it the 29th. I thought after reading answers in the employment law section (where I also posted), I'd pay until a new policy was written. But now I'm re-thinking; I'll see what the Administrator thinks and let her make the call since no law states we have to pay. I'm on vacation in 20 minutes so really don't care. (I do care - I'm just in vacation mode). Thanks for your response.

• I know the feeling. My parents and grandmother are driving in from Nebraska and just called to say they are ten minutes away! Enjoy your time off!
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 12-24-03 AT 03:13PM (CST)[/font][br][br]What does your policy say about an employee receiving paid holiday time. Some employers require that the employee be on a paid status on both sides of the holiday time, other done't or require that it only be one day?

What would you do with an employee who is on unpaid leave when a paid holiday pops up?

Pay the hoday in accordance to your policy requirements for an emplyee to get a paid holiday.
    If it turns out she's entitled, then so be it. You want integrity to yoru policy not managment playing games to avoid what it doesn't want to do but would have to under the pre-existing policy. If you need to change the policy for future cases, then do that as well.