i9 verification

I am in need of help once again. I have a new employee who filled out paperwork using the name that matches her ss card. Does her DL need to match that name? (shortend version the name on the ss card & dl doesn't match) I know to pay her off the ss card but am wondering if I need to have her get me a new id card.

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Here is something from the INS that may help:

What is my responsibility concerning the authenticity of document(s) presented to me?
    You must examine the document(s) and, if they reasonably appear on their face to be genuine and to relate to the person presenting them, you must accept them. To do otherwise could be an unfair immigration-related employment practice. If a document does not reasonably appear on its face to be genuine and to relate to the person presenting it, you must not accept it. You may contact your local INS office for assistance. To get the address and telephone number of the INS office nearest you, please click the INS district office directory.

It seems like if you have reason to believe that the documentation is not genuine, then action should be taken. At a minimum, I would have the employee explain why the names don't match (marriage, etc), and call the 1-800 number to verify that the social security number matches the name.

Good Luck!