After hours computer class: regular time or O/T

We are being required to take a computer program course. My question is for the (1)hourly employees; are they to be paid OT or just regular hourly wage? (2) Are we required to pay salary people additional pay for attending these classes?
Thank you.

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I think it's like any other work they do: Nonexempt employees get OT when they go over 40 hours, exempt employees don't.

James Sokolowski
    Senior Editor
    M. Lee Smith Publishers
  • But the company can pay different rates for different work. That MUST be announced before the class -- for example a company can pay minimum wage for driving time, but pay a higher hourly rate for other work.

The overtime calculation becomes more complicated, because you have to average the rates and time work to find the average hourly rate at which ot is paid. (there is a current question and discussion on how to do this).

For the salaried, as long as they are EXEMPT, they do not get additional pay.

Good Luck!
  • Theresa -- I didn't know about the different rate/different work rule. If we're supposed to learn something new every day, I'm done already and it's only 9:00.
    Thanks.

James Sokolowski
    Senior Editor
    M. Lee Smith Publishers
  • Mandatory attendance at classes, etc. required by an employer is counted as hours worked; so..if it is over 40 hours in a work week, employees are paid overtime This is hourly people. In order to avoid overtime,you could adjust their hours in that work week in order that they not go over 40. (Ex. If entire staff not needed, send some home early).

Salaried people do not get paid overtime.
  • If you think of paying a lower rate for attendance at a class think of the complaining that this will create, compare it against the money you will save and decide if it is worth it.
  • You don't mention how long the class is per night or how many nights/weeks. If significant, you can always offer exempt a day off in exchange for the class time. We would do that for our exempt staff if it was more than a few hours. Yes, I know we are nice! Barbara
  • Make sure you check the FLSA for time to get to the training site and miles traveled if they use personal transportation to get the required training. You probably have an expense here for both the exempt & non-exempt employees.

There is nothing wrong with recognizing a need to allow the EXEMPT employees a comparative amount of time off for attending the required training. However, if the powers in charge want to be mean they can require the training and expect the exempt employee at work and on-time regardless of the extra work requirement. Pork

• The total flip-side of this is that if you want to get absolute maximum participation, enjoyment and productivity (value) out of this training class, why not pay them double time for attending it and spring for hamburgers?
  • Disregard the "Hamburgers" (BEEF) and provide pork, we like that even better!
  • Sorry about that....I change my suggestion to 'pulled pork sandwiches'. No beer though till after class. x:-)