Time clocks and meal periods

Our employees are required to punch a time clock when they go in and out for lunch. However, they tend to "forget" to punch back in if they are late returning. We would like to implement a policy stating that any employee failing to punch in or out for lunch will be charged with a one hour lunch period.

I contacted the Louisiana Department of Labor and their response was:

"Louisiana law does not regulate an employer's use of a time clock or time
cards. Please be aware that, alternatively, federal law, the Fair Labor
Standards Act (FLSA) requires that employers maintain records of the time
worked by their employees."

Since under the FLSA employees are entitled to be compensated for all time worked and the USDOL recognizes that insubstantial or insignificant periods of time outside scheduled working hours may be disregarded in recording working time,how does this regulation apply to scheduled working hours that the employee may not be working. Because 29 CFR §785.47 is applicable only where a few seconds or minutes of work are involved and where the failure to count such time is due to considerations justified by industrial realties, by deducting a one hour lunch period for employees failing to punch in and out, are we violating the FSLA since we cannot actually determine how long the employee was away from his job? Our regular lunch periods are 30 minutes.

We have attempted to correct the "forgetfulness" of late employees through progressive discipline, but have not been successful. Our management team does not feel discipline should progress to the point of termination for this infraction.

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • If they are working, they must be paid. If they are not working during the time, they are not to be paid. (whether the punch out or not).

The thing that cannot happen: They work, but the company does not pay them as a disciplinary tool.

If the company wants it to effect their paychecks, the company can do so by:

1. Giving extra money (like a small bonus) to employee who use the timeclock correctly.

2. Implementing a rule that employees who have warnings for not punching in and out correctly will not be eligible for annual or other raises.

3. Susupending the employee for some time without pay.

Good Luck!!
  • Imccoy: My experience of 28 years in HR has led me and my HR department team members to get away from being the company POLICE oR OVERWATCH over the time clock systems! I have done this by use of the law: which says, if the employee is allowed to work we must pay!!! I, therefore, choose to inform the department heads we are no longer in the business of fixing or worrying about their employee's eating, sleeping, time card keeping on the job. We will pay the time put on the time card by the time clock or the department manager's hands. HR will not monitor nor will we defend the manager's actions--we will automatically pay whatever is on the time card. Once in place this HR PAYROLL procedure has gotten me and my team out of the middle. It then becomes very easy to send all questions about minutes worked or stolen from the company to the concerned department HEAD. Believe me it works, when the department head ask me for help with the problem I will gladly advise the disciplinary system in place and in writing. I will assist the department head but I refuse to solve his/her problem with managing this common issue in leadership! Pork
  • Pork,
    I happened to come across this (i know it was some time ago) however, we are inputting a time clock system- do you happen to have a policy on this I can review- I have never worked with a time clock system so I want to make sure I do not forget to add anything to the policy
    Thanks Much
    [email]Suzanne_cantey@tdk-m.com[/email]
  • Pork - I think this is the best thing that an HR Director can do for their sanity's sake! I, too, have found that HR is ultimately put in charge of trying to discipline employees for actions that should be monitored and addressed by the supervisor. What it boils down to is the supervisor does not want to confront the issue with his or her own employee and wants HR to be the "bad guy" here.

Our policy states that misuse of the time clock can result in disciplinary action up to and including termination. In a perfect world, if employees consistently "stole" time or "forgot" to clock in and out, they were given a couple of warnings and then terminated. I can tell you that this doesn't happen. What does happen is that either HR or Payroll spends as much time trying to police these individuals and enforce the policy as the "offenders" do in figuring out ways to steal from the company.

I like your memo and I may use it myself.

• Rocky: You are most welcome, 28 years of HR does produce some good things, that work! Pork