Change of Address

If an employee changes their address, what are the forms they must complete? I thought a new W4 and I9 but looked to me like a new W4 was only completed if their exemption status changed. Also, I9 looked like it was only updated when there is a name change or work authorization expires. The employee has completed our company Information Change sheet which will adjust address for payroll - other than that, I am unsure.

Thank You!

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • A person's address has no bearing on the validity of the I-9. Proper notification to your payroll and personnel departments should meet all your internal needs. Otherwise, the responsibility rests with the employee.
  • Don is correct. One more point though: if you live on a state line, watch out for people who move into the neighboring state. This will trigger a new W-4 and potential fun taxation issues if the ee is living a different state than where he/she works. If HR is the one entering these sorts of changes, they need to be aware of the payroll implications for multi-state scenarios. Otherwise, your friends in payroll will have a fit at year end.
  • Also be sure that notification is given to your insurance carrier or administrator so mail can be properly directed by them. The only other thing I can think of is that if in your business your supervisors might call people in to work you'll need to be sure those lists are updated, if the move causes a phone number change.