Employing a Minor

In Florida, can I employ a 17 year old High School Drop Out during school hours? I know I cannot employ a 16 or 17 year old during these hours but does the fact that the person is no longer enrolled in school alleviate this restriction? (Yes, I know...why would I even want to hire this person? That's a separate question that would take too long to answer!)

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Interesting question. I'm told that in Mississippi, which has a compulsory attendance law, a dropout does not bypass the maximum hours laws simply by dropping out; but would have to have some special dispensation letter from the school system indicating he is not eligible for enrollment for some reason. You might contact your State Department of Education for an answer. Good Luck. Let us know what you find out.
  • The Department of Labor confirmed that where a 16 or 17 year old drops out of school, an employer is still bound by the child labor laws regarding hours of work, breaks, etc., the rationale being that they do not want to encourage or reward dropping out.
  • In Florida,17 year olds cannot work during school hours unless you obtain an exception.You must go either to the school supt. or the child labor section of the fl Dept of Labor and employment Security and get a waiver.