Determining competitive wages

Going into 2003 budget planning, our non-profit healthcare organization wants to be competitive in our employee's salaries. The surveys that I find online aren't helpful because I want to know what other LOCAL healthcare agencies are REALLY paying their staff.

Has anyone ever asked other local competitors to share salary ranges for their positions? How did you go about it? Has anyone ever asked YOU for that information and if so, have you provided it? Why or why not?

I did read the thread in this section about salary surveys. If it is specific enough, I think that a survey done here would be much more helpful than any of the ones online. Personally, I'm mostly looking for nursing, CNA, social work and medical office salaries (i.e. filing clerk, etc.)

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Does your facility belong to a state association or healthcare foundation? Our state association annually requests information from statewide healthcare entities which is submitted directly to an outside resource. The compiled data is then returned some months later. The information is broken down by business size, area of state, and rural vs. urban. It's pricey but beneficial. The state Job Services department also releases collected information but we find it to be too broad and not as useful, the same problem with on-line information. I'd suggest contacting your state association.
  • I will let you know about a service in Arizona that focuses on Wage Surveys in the valley for Resorts/Hotels and also Healthcare. It is called WageWatch. You can learn more about their services at [url]www.wagewatch.com[/url]. I am in the hospitality industry but I did work for a what it was back then a non-profit organization as well and I found that most of the Health Care facilities I called were not willin to share this information. So I know where you are coming from.

Check it out let us know if they were able to help you. The service is not free but I found it to be an excellent tool and well spent membership $$$!

Good luck
  • HR Beginner:
    Don't overlook the importance of creating a relationship (networking) with your counter part at other similar org's in your area. The ability to pick up the phone and chat with a peer is invaluable and once you have the relationship established, it generally works both ways. This can work very well to get a sense of your competitiveness in the local market. Attend whatever local HR mtg's you may have in your area, or if necessary, host a mtg and invite your peers to come and talk about topics of mutual interest. This can lead to addt'l conversations on other subjects.
  • Your counterparts at the other organizations may be willing to share information if you tell them that you will give them a copy of the report and that you will not identify who pays what - Company A, B etc. If they are willing to do this, be sure that you send a good description of the jobs that you are surveying so that the response that you get is for the same job. Job titles are sometimes misleading.
  • HR Beginner: Wage and hour surveys done locally through membership of your local Personnel Association would be your most accurate data for local income levels. In our state, there is also a Manufacturs Association that does wage and benefit surveys within the state. In our region there is a survey that we participate in that gives me wage, salary, and benefits information for comparsion. There are several very large organizations that do wage, salary, and benefits surveys based on total sales volumn. The HAYs group is another. If you have joined the nearest personnel association in your area then you have taken the right first step. The best and most useful results will come from your participation with the local personnel association. good luck Pork