time held for new employees

A friend has informed me of his new employer's practice - holding the first 32 hours worked and not paying this until the employee terminates. This employee is an hourly paid driver. Does anyone have info. on this practice??

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Probably that is not what is happening! It is a violation of Federal law to do this regardless of the employee status. If a company allows someone to work for them 32 hours this week, then pay for that 32 hours must be provided no later than pay day the next week which is in many companies on Friday. A company can not let someone work for 40 hours in the first week and only pay them for 8 hours. It does not matter if it is their first week or their last week. Many employees get the rumor and idea that we companies "hold back" a weeks pay because they don't get a pay voucher on Friday of the first week. In our case our week starts on Sunday and ends on Saturday. Time is collected on Monday and tuesday, computerized on Wednesday, and direct deposits are transfered on Thursday, Paper checks are mailed on Wednesday before close of business, and personal pick-up is authorized on Thursday after 2:00 and all day on Friday. Good Luck, don't go that route it is very bumpy!
  • Generally that would also be a violation of the state pay day law also!
  • I agree with Pork. They probably aren't holding back any pay, but there is a delay when you are processing payroll for hourly people. They cannot be paid "real time", for example on the 15th of the month for time through the 15th, because you don't know yet if they will be working any overtime or not. We pay our hourly people every other Friday for the two weeks ending the prior Sunday. For example, we will pay on Friday 8/23 for hours worked the weeks of 8/5 and 8/12. On Monday, 8/19 we collect the hours, on Tuesday, 8/20 we process payroll, and on Wednesday, 8/21 checks are mailed out. This is very standard practice.
  • Actually, they are holding it back. The reason is that the employer claims that they do this to ensure that if a driver were to leave that they would "out" money if equipment (such as gas card, nextel phone). So these employees never see the 32 hours unless they terminate employment.
  • Back to my original post - our employees never see the one week lag in their pay either until they term. It's just the way it is with hourly payroll.
  • And that in my opinion would be a violation of Federal and State law. Oh to be the attorney of the employee with a copy of the history of this violation. I recommend you stay away from your friends' company process; it is wrong! Pork