Termination pay in Missouri

Does Missouri state law mandate that all monies owed be paid on last day of work? We have been paying it out on the next scheduled payday. Also, can we withhold costs from final paycheck for un-returned uniforms and unpaid employee purchases? As always..."thanks for your help!"

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I believe that MO law requires pay on day of termination if you fire them. You could pay in the next regularly scheduled payroll if the person resigned though. My materials on this subject are about 2 years old from the APA. I presume no changes have occured since then.

Be careful with deductions/docking. In most states that is a no no unless the ee expressly authorizes the deduction in writing at the time it is made. I'm not sure of MO treatment of this specific issue though.
  • Typically, this is much ado about nothing.
    If you don't pay at the time of termination, the employee has to notify you in writing that he wants his check, and then you have time to respond. If you're on a weekly pay cycle, you've already hit payday by then anyway. I've taken calls from ex-employees, calls from their spouses/parents, and calls from their attorneys. The final paycheck is cut on the next payday, and I never hear another word about it.