Heimlich Maneuver

What are the liabilities involved if a company teaches the Heimlich maneuver during new employee orientation?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I don't see any. Seems to me you're offering a public service more than anything, so your liability s/b minimal. Mandating attendance and satisfactory completion of the program may raise someone's eyebrows, but I wouldn't think this would be something you'd do anyway. Offering it and even treating it as hours worked should not create a liability that would come back to haunt you.
  • Also check the "Good Samaritan Law" in your state for additional protection.

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
  • This is a common question when you are putting employees in a position of potential liability for 'helping' other employees. We had similar concerns from our employees when we initiated a "First Responders" program, teaching volunteers basic first aid, CPR, Blood Borne Pathogens/Hazardous Disposal training.

There are two basic issues ~ first, the "Good Samaritan" laws generally will protect an employee from liability if they acted in good faith to assist another person in a first aid or other emergeny situation, so this should be communicated to employees to ease their concerns.

Second, I would be cautious about "requiring" an employee to take this training. Some people will not feel comfortable and, unless it is a requirement of their job, you'd be hard pressed to "require" them to learn this technique. I would instead recommend some type of voluntary program where you offered this training, along with out basic first aid, etc. You'll get people signing up just to learn it for their own personal use, but have the added benefit of using their training at work if needed.
  • Do you have someone on staff qualified to teach such classes? We located a certified instructor through the local fire department who will come to our site to teach CPR and other life saving techniques.

Many of our medical office staff are required to update this training for various certifications, but we extend the offer to all staff members. We pay for their class and their time.
  • If these people are part of a "first responder" or safety team, you maybe required to offer hepatitis vacinations to anyone that wants them. Check your OSHA laws to see if it's required for this activity.

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]