Need Help Starting a Tuition Reimbursement Program!

Hello All,
Can I get your feedback? We don't know where to start. Can you tell me if your company has a tuition reimbursement program and how it is managed? (How much you pay, does it cover books etc). Also, we are curious if other companies offer a "training" program for their employees to take one day seminars from companies like "AMA"(American Management Association)? Last question, do you guys pay for Microsoft courses for your IT employees to attend to renew their certifications or even your accounting departments? Sorry for the long winded question but I don't know where to start! Thank you!
Denise

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-21-03 AT 12:15PM (CST)[/font][p]We have two separate programs, although sometimes there are questions about overlap: Seminars & Training is run out of department budgets, and is intended for the relatively short seminar or training program related directly to the employee's job responsibilities. Our tuition reimbursement program run out of HR is for the longer courses, generally where the employee is getting college credit and is taking the course to better themselves on their own time. Our tuition reimbursement program covers books, fees, and tuition at the rate for a similar credit course at the state university in our area. We had some employees starting to take courses at private institutions which were prohibitively expensive, so cut it back to the state school rate, which we'll pay even if they go to the private institution. We would generally pay for the Microsoft-type programs if required for the position.
  • Our program is quite similar to Hunter's. If the employee leave our employment within 2 years of the college courses, they are required to pay the money back.
  • Employees attending any type of 1-2 day seminars are paid as if they were at work. They are also reimbursed any expenses (i.e., food, mileage, etc.). We also have a Tuition Reimbursement Program wherein employees are encouraged to continue their education outside normal work hours. Our program is pretty simple in that the employee must obtain approval to participate in the program from their supervisor. The company reimburses the employee for any books, fees and tuition costs upon completion of the course. They must also turn in their grade and anything above a "C" is paid 100%. Since there is a limited number of continuing education institutions in the area, we have yet to run into a problem with the cost of the courses.

At a former employer, their tuition reimbursement program allowed for reimbursement based on the final grade - a "C" was paid at 80%, a "B" was 90% and an "A" was 100%.

Hope this helps.
  • Denise,

I have two policies I'll send you if you e-mail me. One is a straight tuition reimbursement policy and the other covers a company-sponsored MBA program. Whatever you decide to do, make sure you tie in continued employment for a period of time afterwards so you don't educate people and then miss the benefit of that education.

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • I will send you my tuition reimbursement policy is you put your email or fax number on the forum. I'll check for it next Tuesday.
  • Thanks Mentel
    My e-mail is [email]Deniser.HQ@Keyence.com[/email]. I appreciate the assistance.