Do you sponsor green card applications?

An employee has asked what our policy is on sponsoring green cards and I need to think about this. What do others do? Do you have a policy? If you support a green card application (do I assume correctly the person needs promise of a job) do you also pay the legal and processing fees? Does anyone provide the job but require the employee pay the fees? are these the right questions?

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • >An employee has asked what our policy is on sponsoring green cards and
    >I need to think about this. What do others do? Do you have a policy?
    >If you support a green card application (do I assume correctly the
    >person needs promise of a job) do you also pay the legal and
    >processing fees? Does anyone provide the job but require the employee
    >pay the fees? are these the right questions?

It really depends on the competative nature of the recruiting in your industry.
    Most companies will sponsor a valued and have a sponsorship policy. You can make any agreement with the employee regarding legal fess in a green card case; unlike an H-1 visa where you are required to pay the $1000 goverment fee and not use the legal fee to reduce the employees salary below the prevailing wage listed on the Labor conditions application. Some companies have the employee pay but, many use the benefit as a retention tool and excuse payment if the employee remains with company one year beyond getting the green card, again it depends upon the recruiting and retention issues in your industry.-Brian Reilly, Attorney at Law