Fall in parking lot

An employee has reported slipping on ice and falling in the parking lot with no injury except bruising. But wants it recorded for future reference in case of any injury. Any advice for documenting these reports other than OSHA log? Also, is it safe to assume that an injury reported, but not treated does not need to be reported to workers comp? Thanks for any help.

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I would report it to WC. I would tell WC that you want it as a report only for now. If any thing would become of this ees injury it is documented with WC.

• We have an in house incident/accident report that we use for this type of thing. We don't send anything to WC at this time. Later if the employee needs to see a Doctor then I will send a copy of the incident/accident report along with the 801.
  • We would turn it in to our carrier so it is on record should something come up in the future..although I am wondering if "coming and going" would apply?
  • I believe the OSHA log only applies to lost time incidents. If ee only had brusing, I doubt they took time off?

I'd report it to both work comp carrier and your gen'l liability carrier. Keep in mind that work comp might not cover this, but your gen'l liab carrier could be on the hook if your company is obligated to keep snow/ice removed, etc. (Common term in leases). Do you have a risk manager who coordinates loss control?

Good luck
  • Couple of things, first DO NOT put it on your OSHA log, it is not an OSHA recordable based on the information given. Second, most likely it is covered under the "coming & going rule" so it would be covered by workers' comp. I would have done a thorough accident investigation, document it, let the employee know and follow up to see how they are doing. It will hurt more the next day, I always tell them that.
    I would hold off reporting to WC carrier to see if it is going to amount to anything.
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman