Orientation Development

I work for a landscape company and am in the process of developing our training and orientation package for new employees. Does anyone have any templates or resources that they can share?

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I also am developing an orientation (public employer) and could use some assistance. If you get a response, please let me know. Thanks.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-16-07 AT 04:21PM (CST)[/font][br][br][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-16-07 AT 02:23 PM (CST)[/font]

Your industry is much different than mine, but here's what I suggest you include in your Orientation checklist, not necessarily in this order;
    - ice breaker/Welome to the team!
    - employee handbook review
    - benefits package review
    - tour of facility, lockers, bathrooms, time clock
    - review of pay periods, paydays, work schedules
    - employee safety program
    - what makes your company great? (compared to the competition: as an employer and as a service provider)

Other Forumites will surely add whatever I have missed.

Edit: add this to the list...

- review dress code, including powerpoint presentation of "good" and "bad" examples. x:-)
  • I'm realizing how industry specific these things must be, but will add a couple:

review of organization chart. I find people like to know where they fit in the organization.

we are 100% an office environment, and HR coordinates orientation with other key departments. So Info Services goes over their computer, e-mail, and setting up the phone (voicemail, etc.). Office Services goes over parking, mail procedures, desk setup, use of kitchen and office equipment (copiers, fax, etc.) Finance goes over timesheet submission.
  • You could also include an overview of how performance reviews are handled, and information on your salary levels, if you have them. Also, if you have a job posting process for internal promotions and transfers (this may be covered in the handbook), you could discuss that.

Good Luck!
  • Caroliso, how big is your company? It must be wonderful to have all those support areas help with orientation.
  • Ritaanz, we have 110 employees, almost all of whom reside at HQ. We survey new hires about a month after they've started and we always get high marks on our orientation process. It is partly out of necessity, however. Staff who don't know how to fill out their timesheet, charge calls to project, use the copier, etc., always create more problems further down the line. But we are a very EE focused company, I admit.