Help with a Loud-talker

Here's the day's "unusual" problem.

We have a lovely EE, a young man, who is well-liked and does a reasonably good job.

The problem is he is an EXTREMELY loud talker. His normal volume is decibels louder than anyone else I've ever heard. His job takes him to the halls often, and if he stops to talk with anyone I hear about it. Well, that's a slight exaggeration, but it's a problem.

His supervisor says she has talked to him about keeping his voice down when he's out and about, and about not lingering in the halls to talk to folks, but something else is needed, the problem persists. I've had conversations with him myself, and I've tried lowering my own voice to see if he responds in kind without even thinking of it, and I think he actually does but it's still loud.

I don't want the guy to start feeling overly self-conscious, so I'm postponing talking to him myself until I have something new and constructive to say, a technique to offer, anything.

Can anyone make a suggestion (other than getting him a job on the stage or selling peanuts at Fenway Park)?

Thanks.

Comments

• 16 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I have a similar problem and have addressed it with the woman on two different occasions. She doesn't visit around but makes/receives personal phone calls and we can hear her entire side of the conversation over half the office! It is now up to her manager to disicipline her for making/receiving personal phone calls. If your problem ee is roaming the halls (whether he talks loud or not), his conduct should be addressed with him by his manager.
  • The comments about a possible hearing problem were helpful, I hadn't thought of that. Part of his job is to deliver the mail so it's not a discipline problem per se. Marc, you can hold onto that mask fantasy for the time being!
  • He may actually have a hearing problem.

HR Hat
  • I agree with njjel. The worker may actually have a hearing problem, but whether he does or not is the problem you have. Your issue is his disruptiveness to other workers, and your responsibility is to moderate the disruptiveness. It may seem firm, but I would take that approach--in as kind a way as possible--but insist that the volume get turned down or the mouthpiece suffer the consequence in a work environment where all the space is shared space.

Best wishes.
  • Would it help to tell him to use his "indoor voice"?
  • I think you should buy him one of those rubber maskes that leaves only eye holes and nose holes and locks behind his head.

Only let him take it off with permission, and make him write: "Please mistress, may I speak now?"
  • I agree with HR Hat. Quite often people who have a hearing problem talk very loudly and don't realize it. Just listen to people sing along with their music when they're plugged into their iPods. They can't hear their own voice so they have to sing loudly to hear themselves. Maybe your loud talker has the same problem.
  • Have you checked to see if he's wearing an iPod? ;)
  • Working close to a call-center I've watched my CS Manager handle "loud talkers". In these cases, honesty is the best approach. Simply tell the employee that it's apparent his tone is louder than normal. Mention that it is disruptive to co-worker's work environment to have nearby conversation that is easily overheard in the halls.

In the call-center my manager is always able to ask the reps if their headset is working fine or if they need any equipment to accommodate them. Perhaps that is a similar angle you could use.

Good luck!
  • Maybe being a bit more self conscious wouldn't be a bad thing. I would advise a more direct approach. Ask him if he is aware how loudly he speaks? Its not like he is in trouble (yet) but I think its best that you address the situation and just let him know that you would appreciate his cooperation.

Some people do have louder voices that carry more than others.

Years ago, we had a "low talker". Was that a Seinfeld episode? Our low talker talked so soft you could barely hear her even if you were alone in a small office.

Its possible your loud talker has a hearing problem or its also possible that he is seeking a form of attention.
  • he may also live with someone with a hearing impairment.
  • Hmm.. I heard about a man who pretended to be deaf for ten years before his wife caught on.
  • I'll never forget my mother's surprise when she learned my dad did not have a hearing problem
  • Seinfeld had the "close talker" -- invaded people's personal space in conversation, if I recall correctly.

Good suggestions, all. I'm going with the direct approach, keeping in mind the potential for hearing-related issues.

HRQ mentioned the CEO and the cell phone skit. If this guy walked around with a cell phone it would drive me off the deep end -- that is a situation that produces an irrational ire in me, i confess!! Thank goodness for small favors.
  • Our CEO has an incredibly loud voice. Our offices are two big rooms connected by doorways but no doors. Lots of desks, no cubicle walls. My desk is the farthest away from his, and I can hear much of what he says, without even trying to listen.

He doesn't yell - he just has a great "stage voice." His voice projects really well naturally.

Some of us have told him that his voice carries. The point really hit home at a managers retreat. We did skits poking fun at ourselves (corp office) for the amusement of the school directors. The VP played the part of CEO, and she wandered around shrieking into her cellphone. The rest of us played ourselves, unable to hear a darned thing because of her loud voice. He later asked the VP "am I really THAT bad?" She confirmed it for him. x:-)

Fortunately he has a great sense of humor and doesn't mind poking fun at himself either.

He has since made a conscious effort to tone it down, and he goes outside or to the conference room with his cell phone to make sensitive calls.