Survey-Size of your Human Resource Department

We are trying to justify hiring another person in HR department and would like to know the size of other HR departments within similar-sized agencies. We have almost 300 employees, and our HR handles most all normal HR functions except, payroll, which is handled in finance. If you respond, please tell me what type of positions you have in HR too, ie profession, degreed person or a clerk type. Any information would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• 37 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We are an electronics manufacturer and have just over 400 ee's locally.

As with you, we do all the normal HR functions except payroll which is done at corporate.

There are 3 of us in the HR dept, two of us are degreed, the third performs lower level tasks and scheduling. The receptionist reports to me and does some clerical work for HR, but isn't really part of the dept.
  • I am in the publishing industry and have about 415 employees. We do everything except process payroll, although we handle all data entry into the system. There's me (director) and two staff assistants. Both are hourly, neither degreed, but they have both been here over 10 years (were here when I got here) and I couldn't do without them. Having said that, I wish one was more on a professional level, who could step up while I am out. One handles minor ee issues, all recruiting, testing, screening interviews, etc.
    The other deals w/more technical issues, reports, insurance, A/P, etc
  • MELBA: 2 personnel in HR with Payroll in accounting for 211 employees located over 16 different work sites. Before getting the accounting position I personally handled all employee actions outside of payroll. Over the years I have taught the payroll clerk to become the HR assistant. She handles all of the administrative details of all benefits, entitlements, W/C, FMLA,Sick and Vacation time adjustments. Completely handles from start to finish the garnishments. Payroll is her most important and priority tasking, she gets it handled in 1 1/2 days. The rest of her 40 hour work week is spent on all of the other issues.

Well what do I do: supervise and enjoy life as an HR? Recruiting, placement, posting on Hrhero, investigations, signing corporate checks of all sorts, enrollments of anyone, safety, risk management, and whatever the GM wants me to do!

Richard
  • Melba, please excuse the threadjack, but hey, Richard! You're back! Hope everything went well. It's good to hear from you again.
  • We have 210 employees and growing - adding about 5 or 6 positions per month. We do payroll and everything else HR. There are 2 of us, both degreed.
  • We have 60 full time employees and 90 seasonal. There is currently one full time HR person (me) and one half-time assistant who handles most of the administrative functions.

HR is responsible for the recruitment and hiring of staff, development, and sometimes (like today) termination. We leave payroll to number people.

The majority of our staff live on-grounds so I also assign housing and deal with tenant issues.

I have a degree and PHR certification.
  • Before me, there was one person (no degree) handling HR, payroll, and A/P for about 50 employees. When they hired me, she kept the other 2 and picked up a lot of responsibility with our MRP system (manufacturing software).

I have a BA, came on at 25 hours per week but cut back to 20 recently, we have about 80 employees. In addition to recruiting, interviewing, orientations, benefits, evaluations, discipline, termination, etc., I also wrote and administer our AAP in house. And, we didn't do it this year, but I conducted a morale survey twice, including compiling the data and creating the report. (So what I'm saying is that I get lots of fun special projects)

I have heard a general equation of 1 full time HR person per 100 employees, but I think there is so much more that goes into it for each company.
  • General rule of thumb is one person per 300 employees for an HR Department. We have 2 1/2 people. Myself, degreed and certified; my assistant (about 3 years of experience). She handles all employee paperwork, inputing into the HRIS system, etc.; I also share an employee with Finance...they are responsible for the payroll part and this person also does benefits which I supervise. Neither of these two are degreed individuals.

Hope this helps!

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 06-28-06 AT 02:51PM (CST)[/font][br][br]
    I believe that 1 per 300 is the accepted practice, However, the recommendation for an appropriate and effective ratio is one HR professional for the first 150 employees, then 1 per each 100 after that, including admin/clerical support. Our organization has 465 employees and the HR department handles everything except payroll. I have three direct reports (for a total of 4 in our org), all degreed and I have a Master's & SPHR certification. Two provide generalist support and 1 provides data analysis (comp, vendor/benefit invoice reconciliations, etc) and back up generalist support. Personally, I think the # of staff should be comensurate with your function. 1 HR person per 350 or per 100 or per 50 depends on the company, the culture, and the level of support your HR folks provide to the organization. Where 1 person can support 350 in a low turnover, manufacturing facility, it would take 3/4 to support 350 in a health care facility with high turnover and high performance management issues.
  • The turnover issue (among other things) is a fantastic point.

A staff size of 500 in a minimally regulated industry with low turnover (say 25%, in a high-tech business) is a completely different ballgame than a staff of the same size with 150% turnover in a highly regulated industry. (such as healthcare industry)

I don't think there's an easy way for us to say what the appropriate HR staff size is without knowing about the industry you serve, market, professional "level" of the employees, turnover, etc.

The common thread I see in all of our posts, though, is "I have too much to do". I think that's pretty much the same feeling for any job.

If you have too much to do;
    - list all the "stuff" you need to get done vs. what you are actually able to accomplish
    - Figure out what should be done only by YOU (confidential, sensitive stuff, etc.)
    - With what's left, decide what can be delegated or "dumped".
    - If can't be delegated or dumped, ask approval to hire someone.

Asking for help is a lot more effective with some research done in advance. On the other hand, if my boss accepted an informal survey of other HR people's staff sizes, I'd just say that based on my survey, I need to double the size my staff. x;-)

• I've always bristled at the thought of HR/#'s. Do you go to the PTB and say, "well the co. down the street has 6 pple, so should we"?

IMHO it doesn't matter how many people others have. Understand your objectives and figure out if you are meeting them. If you are not, figure out why. If it's 'cause of people, hire another one.
  • This was my thought too. I've already gone to my CEO and asked him for another person, and he asked me to find out what other HR departments have. Based on the numbers that I'm getting, it looks like we don't need another person, but I still think we do. Especially since I'm Chief Personnel Office but have a dual role of General Counsel for the Agency as well. Doesn't leave a lot of time for me to handle HR issues.
  • MELBA: Maybe you should tell us more about your agency. General Counsel and HR activities is a match for me, but I do not have a shield to hang, just a lot of experience which helps me to get the HR arena through the days activities without getting us into legal difficulty. It would be impossible for me to have all the things that I have given to my assistant and do the legal bits also. It is amazing that your General Counsel hat will allow you to get anything done as the HR.

You must be in an Attorney-at-Law firm. Then I understand why the 2nd hat combination. I would still think the company would be better off having an HR that you could supervise.

Richard, "Ole PORK" is back and feeling much better, it is 1/2 days until the physician gives me his blessing to go back to full time. Thanks to everyone for your concerns and prayers. May we all have a Blessed day.
  • Thanks for your reply. I actually work directly for the agency and the title of the position is Chief Personnel Officer/General Counsel. I truly love getting to do both. My legal background is in employment law, but as General Counsel for the Agency, I am getting to try my hand at some other types of law too. I don't do much in the HR part of my job other than discipline issues, and investigations into allegations of abuse.(we are an agency that handles mental, medical, educational needs of children in MS) We offer a whole range of services to kids. Because we're in the medical field, we have to follow JCAHO standards which require a lot more HR involvement. Different types of background checks and stringent HR assessments and competencies etc. One of my staff, in particular is very overloaded, and there's no one to hand off any work to. That's what started this whole thing, but it looks like we're not going to be able to use the ratios to justify hiring someone new. We'll have to find a new argument. Thanks for your help.

Melba
  • Welcome back, Pork!

Melba, you should Login to the Subscribers Area and look at our HR Hero Survey from last year on Your HR Department. More than 3,000 people told how many HR people in their organization. The overall responses:

0 ... 2%
    1 ... 31%
    2-3 ... 33%
    4-6 ... 15%
    7-10 ... 6%
    11-20 ... 4%
    20-plus ... 5%

You can filter the results by company size, public-private sector, etc.

Hope this helps.

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • We have 243 full time employees and have 2 fulltime HR employees. Both are degreed. We handled everything expect payroll although we do the data entry. We are a water & sewer utility.
  • We are a beer wholesaler that is family owned and operated. We have 160 full-time employees, approximately 24 part-time employees, and a handful of seasonal employees. I am the HR department. Accounting does our payroll. I assist in recruiting but the Operations VP and the Training/Development Manager conduct most of the interviews and make the hiring decisions. I do not have a degree.
  • We are a heavy manufacturing plant with 420 employees at our site. There is another plant and corp. hq in the same city. We have an HR Director, an HR Generalist and an HR Assistant on site. (We also have 4 unions which means a lot of paperwork.) We have all HR except actual payroll processing with is part of accounting.

• Sorry - I am degreed as is my Generalist. The HR Assistant is not.
  • My approach, with 40 yrs. in HR, is to identify the functions that HR is expected to perform and explain what it takes in hours per week, and qualifications to do it. I also make suggestions about what ought or ought not to be done by HR. If I,m limited in staff I suggest priorities for what will be done. I offer to train managers in those areas that I do not have the staff to do. Generally, I try to train the management to handle most of their people issues and I serve as an advisor.
    Oh yes, we have 200+ ees and 1.25 staff in HR.
  • We have close to 900 employees in 2 separate companies in 70+ offices in three counties. We use an employee-leasing company, but everything has to run through our HR department to get to the leasing co.

Payroll comes in on timesheets from the satellite offices and it it reviewed before being forwarded to the leasing co for processing.

We have 2 401(k) plans and 5 other benefit plans. We handle all of the HR and benefit issues directly - the leasing is really for reduced benefit costs. We are healthcare and our insurance rates are sky-high by ourselves.

And we do this all with 4 employees. One Director (degreed), 1 benefits coordinator, 1 HR coordinator and 1 clerk.

Needless to say, the Director has been screaming for more staff for a while now.

• I am the only HR Employee at a location of 75, and I am trying to figure out how to delegate tasks/issues since most of my work is confidential in nature. (salaries, discipline, etc.)
    Any suggestions?

HRVolley
  • HRVolley, can I ask why you're trying to delegate? Not enough time to get things done, are you going to be gone, etc? The first people I might look to are the payroll person and/or her backup in our company, because they understand the confidentiality of payroll, so it should translate pretty easily into HR confidentiality.
  • HRCalico, I just have no time for paperwork! I do all interviewing, hiring, most firings, discipline, benefit coordination, you name it. I know that most of us are in the same boat, and I was just wondering who we can delegate to. I don't have enough work to warrant a new employee, but I have been given additional projects that I am supposed to find time for, and I just can't find it!
  • Calico, you than come in at 6, work until 6 and if you are still not done you get to work on the weekends...that is how it goes. I have been doing that for about 25 years now in this profession. It never gets easier.

It is easier since my computer at home got set up so I can work at home in the evenings and on weekends if I need.

Tax time is the worst. I work a lot of hours during tax time.

Shirley
  • One thing that I've looked into (it's never come to fruition, though) is getting an intern from a local college/university. You can have them sign a confidentiality agreement, and if they're only there a few hours a day (or several hours a week), they won't have much time to rub elbows with your employees and chat about confidential stuff. In theory. :>) They get experience, you can offload some things, and everybody wins. Plus, much of the time internships are unpaid, or at a minimum paid but no benefits, so it helps save $.
  • HRVOLLEY: First thing I would do is get rid of discipline and firings. These are real time consummers and the responsiblity of the operating managers. Your personal advise to the responsibility should only be as a witness when necessary because there is no one else available at the time of the event. Don't do their jobs for which they get paid and in most cases more than the average HR would expect to get. These are no winners in our world of work. You destroy your best purpose of the overseer of employee morale and employee relations.

Richard also known in these circles as PORK
  • NancyJ, I think yours is about as close to my situation as I'm gonna find.

I have one assistant and thank GOD she's one smart cookie and hardworking, to boot. We support two companies, total of 650 employees at 29 locations. HR processes payroll inhouse, and we rely on the supervisors to send us hours, new hire paperwork, a bunch of regulatory documentation, (we are state licensed) etc.

Separate handbooks, benefits plans, vacation plans, etc., for each company.

Someone from the operations team handles recruiting. We work closely together on that and Orientation.

I've been working on a plan to either reorganize our tasks with just the two of us (surely there are things we are doing that aren't as crucial as maybe they once were) or "spread the wealth" to some of the other departments.

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 06-27-06 AT 07:42AM (CST)[/font][br][br]We are in manufacturing with about 215 employees in 8 locations throughout the US.
    I am it as far as HR is concerned. I do have one person at each location that I call my "deputy" who is responsible for getting paperwork and sending it to me (new hires, salary changes, payroll info, etc.)
    We do payroll. I do have help with someone in our Accounting/bookkeeper who helps with this. I "feed her all the info" and she types it in. I do it when she is out.
    I do about everything with the exception of recruiting and interviewing (since I am not on location.) However, I do run ads for them and at time do phone screens and do background checks.)
    I forgot to add, I do have a college degree (accounting/finance) and have my SHRM (what that is worth) and have about 25+ years experience.
    E Wart
  • We are a non-profit in the public sector and have 140 employees. There is me, degree & PHR, and I share a clerk with Finance. I do everything except payroll. No problem with confidentiality since the clerk sees everything in payroll anyway.