body piercing

we are having more and more applicants and employees displaying body piercings. Some of my supervisors have expressed their dislike of this physical appearance and I wanted to know if anyone else has encountered this and if so, has a policy been written to ban such piercings?

Comments

• 19 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I don't have any particular experience with actually writing such policies, but I have worked in numerous environments where piercings were addressed by the office dress code.

Most of the places I've personally worked have been relatively casual and have specified something along the lines of "multiple ear piercings and nostril piercings are permitted so long as the jewelry worn is 'tasteful and discreet.'" I've never worked anywhere that allowed other visible piercings, and employees were always required to remove jewelry from oral and eyebrow piercings as part of the dress code. Thus, they could have the piercings if they wanted them, but couldn't wear jewelry in them while on the clock.

Holly Jones
    Attorney Editor
    M. Lee Smith Publishers, LLC
  • I have researched this issue numerous times, and some of the arguments made against body jewelry, tattoos, hairstyles, or dress follow the same logic of a company I worked for in the 70's/80's that said we could not have black or female sales staff as our customers would not "work with them" due to their personal bias. The EEOC and OFCCP did not agree with that practice, of course.

The difficult part is what will really affect the individuals work performance? I have met many of our customers in my current industry, and it is a really diverse group.

Those involved requiring verbal communication can seem to have a problem with tongue piercing, and that is a performance issue, plus the clicking on the teeth and even handset.

We do not allow tattoos that have connotations of racial, sexual or other inappropriate overtones and they must be covered up 100% of the time or removed.

Most jewelry had/have some basic connotation - tongue piercing was designed for oral Morris Code, and most jewelry, tatoos are designed to draw attention to some body area you want noticed.

If you have a rule, you probably should apply it regardless of the employees gender, race, etc.
  • Just to present the other side, we don't ban piercings by either location or number. We have a few ee's that have more holes punched in 'em than a colander! We celebrate diversity, to say the least. We're a school, by the way.
  • Our policy is similar... However we only allow ear rings to be worn, no other facial jewelry is permitted. We do make it a point that if an applicant comes in for an interview with multiple piercings, they a informed at that time that this is not allowed. Luckily/thankfully this has not been a problem for us.
  • We had a GM once who let it be known he didn't approve of facial hair. I had a beard. He dropped numerous hints to me. I waited about a month just out of spite then caved and shaved it off one day. (I've had a completely clean shaven face about 3 times in the past 28 years) Well, when he saw me he told me I was ugly and should grow the beard back. He never bothered me again.

Seriously, do the body piercings effect job performance? Depending on the type of job, is there a lot of customer interaction that could create a negative image? Any decision must be based on business concerns, not on likes or dislikes of the supervisors.
  • This topic is RARELY a work performance issue, so for those that prefer to view it that wasy, just about any type of piercing s/b permissable. Many employers, however, view this as a decorum; customer service; corporate culture type of thing and consequently choose to specify what the dress/appearance should be. First of all, we're presumably talking about visible piercings; & 2ndly whether this is contrary to the employers desired image. For employers who permit staff to report for work in beachwear, piercings are hardly a concern. For those that desire something more appropriate, then I believe most employers would prohibit such obvious piercings as nose, lips, cheeks, eyebrows, etc.... It's not a constitutional issue to require the employee to remove the adornment while working. I have found that there is a "trap" by trying to define the # of ear piercings, cuz it'll only cause you to squirm when a star performer chooses to wear 2,3, or 4 tiny studs in the fold of the ear. My 2-cents...........
  • We do have a policy that states "piercings can only be in the ear lobes, any other piercings must be taken out or covered up"

We changed our dress code about 2 years ago due to the fact that our staff work with children.
  • We prohibit any visible facial piercing on men and we limit the number of ear rings for women. All of this is done to respect our conservative clientele. We are actually discussing whether to allow the very tiny nose piercings that have become popular and are attractive and non-intrusive.

My advice is set a policy that will best suit your organizational needs. Your organizational needs might be best met with a loose policy in order to attract younger, tech oriented applicants.

There is also something called the Church of Body Modification. This is from their website:

"Will becoming a member in the Church of Body Modification save me from being fired from my job for visual modification?

In the United States different states have different rights to release an employee for any reason ("right to work"). If it is apparent that the reason you are being released from your workplace is because of your modifications this would be considered a violation of your rights and you have a solid case against the employer... if you can prove that visual body modification the reason you are being released, YES you are protected in the United States."

For the link, go here: [url]http://www.uscobm.com/index.asp[/url]
  • "We prohibit any visible facial piercing on men and we limit the number of ear rings for women."

Does this mean that men can have earrings and women can have facial piercings?
  • Yes we dont allow men to have facial piercings of any kind and women can wear ear rings.

Are you thinking disparate treatment?
  • Paul, what about that nose ring your wife makes you wear?
  • I'm trying not to think at all except to think that one single little itty bitty earring on a guy wouldn't seem to do too much harm. I guess Ed Bradley or Harrison Ford need not apply, huh?
  • "Because of the importance of an employee's appearance, beards and facial hair will be strictly monitored. Only neatly trimmed full beards, mustaches and goatees are acceptable." (We do not allow hair on the chin only; it must connect to a mustache.) "Sideburns below the ear, hair over the collar, facial jewelry for men and abnormally colored hair are not permitted. Other facial hair and appearance matters will be handled at the discretion of management."

Now that I've typed it out, seems our policy needs a little updating. We do not allow men to wear earrings. We should probably include women concerning the facial jewelry also. The policy doesn't address oral jewelry....maybe I'll start wearing my tongue barbell to work and see if my boss says anything!

No policy against tattoos.
  • Leo,

With that prohibition on chin hair that's not connected to a mustache, Ray would be sunk at your workplace. He has a facial hairdo specially designed for trombone playing.
  • Wow, Leo, I wouldnt be able to work with you either. My hair is going to go way over my collar this summer.
  • I think it all depends on the job and who they are interacting with. For example, our dress code is stricter for our sales staff and newsroom than any other department b/c they represent the company and are out and about in the community. You can bet your bottom dollar if a reporter came in with facial piercings, I'd have the entire mgt staff in my office. We would require that it be removed. However, I believe a company has the right to implement a dress code that includes piercings.
    Funny how this topic always comes up in the summer. I am amazed each year with the attire my employees dress (or don't) in during the summer. I have to constantly remind them this is a place of employment and not the beach. :)

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 06-16-06 AT 03:21PM (CST)[/font][br][br]I have seen ee's wear pajamas, boxers to work, innappropriate t shirts, even a wet suit once. When I say boxers, I mean just boxer shorts. I told the young lady that where I came from boxers were considered underwear.
  • oh good grief!! What is wrong with people today????
  • My company does not have such limits, but my wife runs a child care lab school for the local community college. Her rules for her staff are straightforward and stictly enforced.

"No butts, no boobs, no bellies." If any of these are showing, they go home to change. No dangly jewelry or visible facial/body piercings. They are just too much temptation for the curious little ones.

I always tell her that she should let them wear the dangly jewelry. The first time a toddler grabs a chain connecting the ear to the nose, and rips something right out of their flesh, well - they will learn a lesson the hard way.