You are not going to believe this one

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-08-06 AT 01:23PM (CST)[/font][br][br]One of my employee's was just caught urinating in one of our scrap bins. When confronted, he claims that he has to go to the bathroom more often, because he is diabetic. I am no no notice that he is diabetic, but urinating in the middle of the plant, into a bin that others use, is grounds for termination as far as I am concerned. Can I fire him for this? Or do I now have to accomodate? He has never said anything to me or anyone about needing more bathroom breaks. Help!

Comments

• 25 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • So, even if you accommodated him, would you allow him to pee into the bin as an accommodation???
  • He exposed himself in the middle of your plant. He urinated onto/into plant belongings.
    Terminate immediately. I think we all work with diabetics and I have yet to see the disease turn anybody into an idiot.
  • Thanks, I was thinking the same thing. I would accomodate by giving him more bathroom breaks, but he never mentioned needing them, and doing what he did, I believe is unforgivable.
  • Remind me not to buy scrap from you.

These "Should I term?" posts are always tough without knowing the company culture and what you have allowed in the past.

Yes, it sounds odd, disgusting, possibly even perverse but I think you should consider any precedents (if that is possible), the ee's work history, his possible motivations, etc.

Maybe he really needed to pee and couldn't make it to a bathroom? Maybe he hates your company and this was a way to express that? Maybe he is a threat to co-workers? I wouldn't rush to judgement.

I think you also need to consider what the impact of termination would be compared to suspension, discipline, etc. What is best for the company?

There are definitely times when immediate termination is the right step to take but even then I think its good to avoid a knee-jerk reaction.

• Well, I have never had to address an issue quite like this one. But defacing company property has always been an immediate termination. He can't have much respect for the company or his coworkers to do what he did. He admitted what he did, and said that it was because of his illness. I told him that his illness was no excuse for exposing himself and doing what he did. I know this may shock you, but he is going to talk to his lawyer. I would love to hear that conversation...

Thank you all for your input. I called on you so I wouldn't make a hasty decision. I felt like it was the right one, but as you all know, running afoul of employment law can come easily if we are not careful.

• >Remind me not to buy scrap from you.
    >
    >These "Should I term?" posts are always tough
    >without knowing the company culture and what you
    >have allowed in the past.
    >
    >Yes, it sounds odd, disgusting, possibly even
    >perverse but I think you should consider any
    >precedents (if that is possible), the ee's work
    >history, his possible motivations, etc.
    >
    >Maybe he really needed to pee and couldn't make
    >it to a bathroom? Maybe he hates your company
    >and this was a way to express that? Maybe he is
    >a threat to co-workers? I wouldn't rush to
    >judgement.
    >
    >I think you also need to consider what the
    >impact of termination would be compared to
    >suspension, discipline, etc. What is best for
    >the company?
    >
    >There are definitely times when immediate
    >termination is the right step to take but even
    >then I think its good to avoid a knee-jerk
    >reaction.

You are right about one thing (knee jerk that is)... I would wait to terminate him after I made him clean it up.

Otherwise, I believe this is exactly the "warm-and-fuzzy psycho babble" beagle was referring to.

What company culture allows public urination????????? It is absolutely laughable and embarrassing to our profession that you would put that much thought into firing someone who pissed on scrap in front of everyone. Should we give him FMLA and send him to the EAP?

This is why CEO's laugh at HR.

• "Embarrassing to our profession" Give me a break.

The poster has given only a very brief description of this situation but you are ready to term the individual immediately. I find that irresponsible.

Firing someone is a serious act and it should be accorded serious and careful consideration 1) to protect your company and 2) to respect your employees.

When you terminate someone you take away their livelihood and leave a permanent black mark on their employment history. Its not something that should be taken lightly.

There is no harm in suspending the employee until a thorough investigation has been conducted and the appropriate response has been identified.

But that's just me.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-09-06 AT 10:37AM (CST)[/font][br][br]I believe Cathy's already pulled the trigger so I didn't get my vote in on time, but I too would've gone with a suspension pending investigation. Some would say there isn't much to investigate in the case of Mr. I.P. Freely, but what if Mr. Freely is a minority and it turns out that a bunch of white guys also whiz in the scrap bin on occasion? Mr. CEO would then be laughing out of the other side of his mouth. If being laughed at by a head honcho is the worst thing that ever results from an HR director's advice, all concerned should count themselves lucky. This ain't the Wild Wild West, and we don't have to hang 'em before sunset.

p.s. But please note that Mr. Freely's accommodation gambit went nowhere with me.
  • HRCALICO: I am a diabetic and that is where I go more often than not!

Just kidding, "terminate" and shoot the sucker while you are at it. He makes all of us look bad!

Just Kidding, what does his supervisor say about all of this time being saved for urinating in the bin verses the toilet?

Yea, you got it right this one is unbelievable and takes the cake for the prize.

PORK
  • We caught an employee urinating on barrels/floor in the middle of our plant, and we terminated him.

The crazy Kentucky UI Admin Judge awarded him UI, stating we did not have a specific policy prohibiting urination other than in the rest rooms.

He was not diabetic, just lazy and nasty!
  • How can you accomodate someone when no one had any knowledge of a problem or condition?

Therefore, terminate for indescent exposure and stupidity.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-08-06 AT 06:59PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Hi HRCathy - this happened to us about 4 months ago as well. An employee was caught "red handed" peeing in the mop sink. After being questioned, it turns out that he had been doing it for approximately 6 months. His excuse was that the bathrooms were too far away. Our bathrooms (and their distances within the facility) are all up to code, so we termed. He actually filed for unemployment. He stated as his reason for separation as "peeing in the mop sink." We objected & it didn't even go to appeal - the UI office denied his benefits.

I think your case - it's one thing to have diabetes, but if the employee isn't asking for any type of accommodation or complaining that the bathroom is too far away & that if something isn't done soon, he'll take matters into his own hand PRIOR TO peeing in the scrap pile, then I think it would be really hard for him to muster up sympathy from the unemployment folks. Just be sure to say something to the effect of, "had John Doe not peed in our scrap pile, he would still be working for us..."

Have fun!

Mandi

ps - I just want to be clear - this is absolutely grounds for termination. He didn't ask or in anyway notify your company that he was having issues & so there was no way to have a discussion about POSSIBLE accomodation PRIOR to the incident. He needs to be fired.
  • I'm shaking my head in disbelief that this is even an issue! Accommodate????? Not on your life! In any conceivable set of circumstances, it is NOT appropriate for someone to do what this employee did. He can't hide behind his condition for such unacceptable conduct! This is absolutely reprehensible.

Terminate. Now. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

• Believe it or not, I have been down the same road. In our case, we knew somebody was doing it but could not find out who. We had to resort to a hidden camera and the union pulled out the excuse of the person being diabetic. I didn't believe it in that case and am not inclined to believe it in your case.

When people are caught or suspected in some sort of wrong doing, they often lie. In fact, before an investigation of any event, I list the most likely lies in my mind to see if my facts would support that particular story. These employees feel that it is them against the company and they are entitled to take any action, including lying, to keep a job. That "them against the company" attitude is very likely what got them into trouble with their actions in the first place.
  • Kathy, my first initial post nearly 3 years ago was for a similar problem, only we didn't know who the guilty ee was. We threatened immediate termination and have not had the problem since. Based on the facts you've stated, I would terminate immediately.
  • Thanks so much for all of your help! I did terminate. I try to stay up-to-date with the law, and I learn as much as I can. Sometimes, you just need someone to have your back. You guys definitely have my back.

We are a fairly small company, so I want to make sure that I am making the right decision when the tough ones come along. It seemed like a straight forward decision to terminate, but then that ADA card was pulled, so I figured I would just check and see what the forum thought. And I am very glad I did.

Thanks!
  • Cathy,

You mentioned that the ee indicated he was going to talk with his attorney. I hope you will keep us posted on that.

I think some have misunderstood my post but that's ok. The diabetic/ADA aspect is ridiculous. No question.

What I would want to make sure of before terminating is that "peeing in the scrap bin" isn't something that other ee's have done as well. Perhaps you have already determined that. Its unlikely, but sometimes HR doesn't always know what happens on the shop floor.

Again its unlikely, but not totally out of the question that other employee's have done the same thing. Being a guy and spending alot of time with guys I have learned that almost anywhere is a "bathroom" to some people.

If the guy you termed is in a protected class or recently filed a WC claim or something similar, I think he could cause you trouble if he could show that other ee's have done the same thing yet were not disciplined.

Again, its unlikely, but I like to have ALL my ducks in a row before a termination. Its just makes things easier later.
  • As far as I know, it has never happened. The supervisor in that department is wonderful (and tough) and I am sure would have addressed the issue had he known about it, no matter who was doing it. This EE has no prior problems, he wasn't a great employee, but he wasn't the worst either. He is in a protected class, (over 40 and Hispanic) but that still doesn't allow for his actions. In fact, most of my employees are over 40 and Hispanic.

Anyone caught doing the same thing would get the same treatment. Had he not mentioned his illness, I would have been more confident in my decision to terminate.
  • I just got a note from this guy's doctor stating that he is diabetic and suffers from frequent urination, but he is going to get better. It is dated the day he got fired. I suppose now he should get his job back because he just HAD to pee in the scrap bin and had no choice.
  • HRCathy - stand your ground. Don't give him his job back. He didn't seek any accomodation prior to losing his job for peeing in the scrap pile. Frequent urnination doesn't give him the right to pee where ever he wants - if the issue was that strong - he should have said something to his supervisor earlier. Also, he put the safety of others ahead of his own issue. Just because it's a scrap pile, doesn't mean that people won't get into it - either to get scrap or clean the scrap up. Who knows what germs, bacteria, etc. is floating around in his urine.

He made a bad decision to pee there in the first place & then he put his co-workers at potential risk.
  • Maybe you could let him come over and pee in the HR trash can as an accommodation.

Ha...fire the guy and try and forget him.
  • But then I wouldn't have any place to go.
  • No accommodation was requested nor would peeing in a scrap bin be reasonable.

Reasonable accommodations might include extra bathroom breaks or allowing the ee to wear depends undergarments. :)

Gives new meaning to the term "peon".
  • What a crock! Fire him. Even diabetics use the toilet, and the ones that I know personally, and are severely diabetic needing multiple shots, one who's lost vision, (all of which we've "accommodated") would never expect us to accommodate the action you described.
  • If he contacts you again say sorry the decision is made. If he mentions the note, say guess you should have been wearing "Depends".

Nice try, but the termination stands.

My $0.02 worth,
    The Balloonman