PreEmployment Testing

I am looking for a pre-employment test with a heavy emphasis on mathematical testing. Any suggestions?

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We made up our own tests based on the types of calculations each position would be expected to do. The material depended on the job description - different for AP or AR or Controller.
  • You will find that testing has been discussed on this forum many times, so you can research testing in general. You would be best off to develop something specific for your company as Marc has described, then you won't have to worry about whether or not the test fits your particular situation or challenges about that.
  • That's we do. We make up our own Word, Excel, math tests, etc., for specific positions. It seems that "off the shelf" tests either test too much, or not the right area.

• As G3 noted, this has been covered before, and I've said it before and will say it again (because I do like it!). I use the Wonderlic personnel II test B or something along those lines. It's pretty heavy on math and I really feel that we are able to understand the scores. (i.e. I know what range I like to see for certain jobs, and that too high or too low usually - but NOT always - does not work out) The interview is always more important but I really appreciate having another (objective) way to compare applicants.
  • I would make sure that the test directly reflects what the job description sets down as expectations. I have used math tests before and found that, with today's high school graduates, a 4th grade level math test will produce about a 20% fallout. Sad.
  • We use a test developed by the same folks who developd the ACT called "Workkeys." It has to be administered by a certified person, but they can generally be found at any college including 2 year colleges. You could also be certified yourself. It has multiple modules and you can choose what you want to give including one on math that works well for workers at all levels if you are looking for a basic understanding of math.
  • One of the things that is often missed in testing discussions is that employment testing regulations specify that tests, in order to meet validity standards, must specifically measure the knowledges, skills and abilities for the job in question and that the test subjects (those who took the test as part of the development process)must be similar to the employee group for whom the test is used. This is an almost impossible standard to meet for any purchased product, unless specifically developed for the company using it, based upon a job analysis at that company. There were a number of high profile cases, including those that went to the Supreme Court, in the 1970 time frame, in which a number of tests were ruled to be invalid predictors of job success, including the Wonderlic and the Bennet Mechanical Aptitude Test. Fortunately, for employers and the testing industry, the only time this will become an issue will be as part of a hiring discrimination case, in which the test is challenged, when data pertaining to test usage will be required, along with a showing that the company has conducted a validation study based on the test as it applies to their OWN employees. There has been little activity along this line for a number of years, but the regulations still exist. It is much easier to defend tests that we develop for ourself based upon the jobs that we have in our own company.
  • That's the beauty of the WorkKeys. Part of thier traing is to come in and do test validation as part of the process. It cost us $1,000 to validate our math module through Lawson College.