Military Recruiting

I am trying to recruit for a mechanical/technical position at the moment.

I would like to contact Military basis in my area to post the job, but it all seems that the phone numbers available to the public have been disconnected or you get some answering machine of an 80 year old granny.

Do you recruit through the military and if so, who do you contact and/or how do you find the right person to contact.

We have a staffing company in the area that specializes in placing ex-military but they want 20% of salary, minimum 30K salary. I'm would rather fill the position myself, but would like to open it up to military b/c they receive on the job training for this position.

Any advice?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • You can call your state department or labor or Employment Security Commission, whatever it's called. They have a staff member (I suppose) who coordinates job fairs all across your state for veterans and those about to get out of the service. Typically they also will have or be able to put you in touch with the veteran's resume clearing house. I know for a fact that your state had this person a few years ago because I met him at job fairs in the Southeast. Start by asking for the veteran's representative.

Disclaimer: This message is not intended to offend or attack. It is posted as personal opinion. If you find yourself offended or uncomfortable, email me and let me know why.
  • Our local Air Force base includes a Family Support Center that is more open to the public than the rest of the base. They post our jobs on a regular basis. I first found them through a military spouse who works for us. She was able to give me a direct number. Ask around or try the government section of the phone book. Our base actually has a general information number listed in the book.

Good luck
  • You can contact bases directly (ask for the ACAP office) where you can get in touch with the career counselors who assist separating service members, or just go the website [url]www.acap.army.mil[/url]. Another good option is to log into AMJ (America's Job Bank) which is a job board specifically for veterans. Lots of good candidates.

Avoid outfits like Bradley-Morris who sponsor "hiring conferences". They do not recruit selectively for your position, they leave that up to you. All they do is sponsor the stupid conference, arrange interviews and then charge you a regular head fee.

Gene
  • Gene:

Thank you for the lead on the website. I just registered, and posted my first job opening there!

Thanks again!

HR Hat