drowley

We recently introduced a point system for attendance and I must say it has improved our attendance by leaps and bounds. We allow our employees to choose between using personal time and using points. Here's my situation. We are going to introduce Part Time hours (we as a company have not offered this in the past). Our PT employees will not recieve any personal time to cover their absences and tardies. Our FT employees are given 6 points to use and 48 persoanl hours to use each calander year. What would be a fair amount of points to delegate to the part time workers to compensate for the inability to use personal time?

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Maybe you could just mathmatically pro-rate it. Say, if they work half time, give them exactly half what the full time worker gets. That would seem fair.

Disclaimer: This message is not intended to offend or attack. It is posted as personal opinion. If you find yourself offended or uncomfortable, email me and let me know why.
  • I would do as LivindonSouth has suggested. You may also want to define which part-time employees are eligible. Maybe those working a minimum of 20 or 30 scheduled hours per week. That would pro-rate their points to 1/2 and 3/4 of a 40-hour full-time employee.

Can't help this: "Mr. Drowley, what goes on in your head?" Welcome to the forum.
  • We just implemented our point system in August. The points are accummulated from August 1 - July 31 the following year and start over on August 1st. Our employees are allowed 9 points whether they are part time or full time, whether they get paid leave or unpaid leave, they only have 9 points to use. The only thing we do for our employees. So far, in the first year of this system, we've had both the negative and positive comments about the system. We have only had one employee that has come close to termination. This employee is at 8.5 points. If she gets 1/2 pt, she gets terminated, luckily for her, she only has about 2 more weeks to go before the points go to zero. I would just keep the 6 points for the part timers as well in your case. GOOD LUCK.

Melanie Rittenour
    HR Director
    NOCAC
    [email]hrdirect@nocac.org[/email]
  • On a prior job, we had a pretty tough points system. Once they reached 7, it was termination. Although they wanted it, we did not have a 'start over' time. Had we had that, and, say a guy had three points and it would all start over next month, he would see that as a free pass to accumulate three more (miss three more days), knowing he'd still be safe and not get terminated and it would all start over next month.

Disclaimer: This message is not intended to offend or attack. It is posted as personal opinion. If you find yourself offended or uncomfortable, email me and let me know why.
  • May I ask: Why did you decide on a set 12 month period as opposed to a rolling 12 months? It seems that a set 12 months encourages abuse at or near the end of the period.
  • The union contract was renegotiated to start August 1st. We reviewed a number of different company's point system policies prior to creating ours and saw they all reset to zero at some point in time. Since the contract was beginning August 1st both teams agreed that the points would run from August 1st to July 31st. Obviously this is our first ever point system, and we already know there are some things that we'll need to revise at renegotiation time, but either the employees haven't caught on yet on "how to abuse" or we have good employees, but I haven't noticed any abuse yet.
  • Ahh, 'the union contract'. I have that problem, too (times 6). Now I understand. Thanks for the response.
  • I agree with Livindon's point about resetting the counter every year. It is similar to being able to "stack" leaves for FML purposes.

If there is an attendance issue with an EE, it does not magically go away just because the clock hit midnight on a certain day.
  • We have a 6 point system, with 1 point for an absence and 1/2 point for a late. EE's who accumulate 2 points get a verbal warning, 3 points gets a written warning, 4 points gets a second written warning, 5 points gets a suspension and 6 points results in termination. Rather than "reset" the totals after a year, EE's with accumulated points can reduce their total by "good behavior" (e.g. no incidents for a 60 day period reduces the total by 1 point, another 60 days reduces total by another point). Seems to work for us.