Termination

We have discovered that a five year employee in financial services division is a convicted felon and registered sex offender. Employee was former employee of merged company and inherited following merger. Can employee be safely terminated ?

Comments

• 21 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • POP15: Welcome to the forum! Safely Terminated? There is no guarantee for any termination!

Does the fact that he was a convicted felon and registered sex offender lead to proven work habits or bad working habits? Did he do his time? Is he showing signs of coming out of his past to attack some one else? Is his job related to children or women?

I believe Texas is an at will state, therefore, you may terminate for "no reason, of with reason". So what would your termination be based upon? Completing an application without revealing vital decision information correctly? Lying on the application is a terminating event in our disciplinary procedures, but we may choose to temper our final decision based on current working conditions and rehabilation.

Glad you have joined the best professional FORUM.

PORK
  • Why would you terminate based solely on that? Maybe he's reformed and what he did back then has nothing to do with who he is now. If his performance and employment record are good, I would leave it alone.
  • How reliable is your information, and how did you came across it? As Pork advised, I would check his application. If he lied on his app I would base his termination on that fact.
  • Since he was inherited, did the former company know of this and hired him anyway? It may be difficult to prove he told a story or didn't reveal everything since the current employees may not have been involved in the hire. Also, may depend upon how the original employment application was worded.
    What was his felony? Does it have to do with the financial services or sex offender status?
    If you are a child care center, you better get worried. Otherwise, I am not sure. You may want to see legal councel.
    (Is this a new ADA category... recovered sex offender? and until he comes off the wagon or performance becomes a problem, you can't address it?)
    E Wart
  • We would terminate.

Our company works with children and families. We would not tolerate someone with this background, not because of the felony conviction, but because of the sex offender status.

That means the offense is of a nature that would prohibit this person from working for us. We have hired a ex-felon or two in the past and currently have one working for us now. But the nature of the crimes did not have a direct impact on the jobs being done, and the character of the EEs was considered.

In the matter of these EEs, they were considered sufficiently rehabilitated, if that is the right word, to be a small risk. Second chances are important in some cases.
  • Need answers to a few questions:
    1. Was he hired as a new employee of your company, or maintain his status due his employment with the other company? If hired as new and he falisfied his application, term him.
    2. What does your policy or past practices indicate you do with current employees who become a convicted felon after being hired, and are they required to report any conviction? Also, does the felony have to do with financial issues, or just any ol' felony do?
    3. It would appear that if there was no policy in place when he was acquired, terminating him now would have high risk. If this new discovery causes a problem with customers and makes him ineffective, it could be a sound basis for termination.

As much as I try to avoid spending attorney fees, this is probably a good time.
  • The only thing that matters here is your analysis of his record balanced against the needs of the company. If you conclude that his record would jeopardize (or invite liability) the mission of your organization, terminate him. This is not about who might have falsified an application or what his propensity might be to re-violate. If you and your management conclude his presence makes you antsy, for business reasons, terminate him.
  • Not to falsely accuse you, but, aren't you an attorney? And if so, would you be representing the plaintiff or the employer?
  • Others have given you sound advice. Check the employment application for truthfulness and contact a labor attorney for guidance. Some deserve second chances ... some don't. Only you know this employees performance issues, the concerns of your organization and how various outcomes might pan out.
  • Beave: I have it on good authority that the guy is an attorney himself, thus my prior question.

Don
  • Sorry Don. I thought you were refering to the posting by Lynn (that Lynn was the attorney). x:-8
  • When I read that post Beave, I too thought Don was referring to Lynn as the attorney.

But anyway, wouldn't the er be concerned about past violence - if the conviction has to do with assault or something? Might he harm a co-worker and the er might be liable for negligence?
  • Don,

Do attorneys put out a scent that you pick up? How do you know these things? Your like a good ole blue tic coon hound treein in the black of night.

I bet you can sniff out a northerner as soon as they come to town too.
  • Buffet knows. But buffet will not divulge my secret.
  • Who is Buffet? How come SHE is so smart?
  • I'll correct Don, although I'm very afraid of the backlash.

He's speaking of Jimmy Buffett (two T's) and well Jimmy knows everything! If I remember correctly, he's a Mississippi boy as well and don't all Mississippi boys know everything?

To all the parrotheads out there....

FINS UP!
  • I was talking about your dog, Buffet. He/She knows what a good treein' hound is up to.
  • I dopn't have a dog named "Buffet".
  • I have a dog named Buffett...after Jimmy...and well although my dog is a lab...he's domesticated...you know...won't sleep any where there isn't a comfy spot...HATES WATER...gives the cats baths.

My dog has no idea what hunting is or how it's done. He's in Margaritaville.